People Coming To My Door - Un-Announced

Marc

I guess we all get these (maybe with the exception of Al who is miles away from everyone lol). Would have put this post in the steam room usually as I hate people coming to my door trying to sell me something, however this is not to talk about the annoyance, more about the technique they use.

So, what funny techniques have people used to try and sell you something when they have come to your door? Have you ever answered and thought before you get to the door they can go away no matter who they are and then actually wanted to listen?

Had a guy and a kid turn up at my door this morning with a "watch tower" magazine in their hand, so Im guessing Johova's witness. Now nothing against these people and wouldnt normally post this kind of thing up as we have people on here with different religion so I stay away from that kind of conversation. However Im posting up because of the "sales" pitch. The very first sentence (baring in mind I feel like death warmed up today) was "Sorry to bother you, just want to have a quick conversation about your death".

WHAT? .... Am I missing something LOL.

WARNING: I DO NOT want this topic to be about religion and your post will be removed if it is deemed would cause offence.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:jawdrop: and how did you respond???

door-to-door sale is very rare in Indo, but I have encountered some creeps in the past  :rolleyes: this one guy suddenly pulls up in front of the gate and said my house is beautiful. He takes quick pictures of the gate, the walls, and then... "can I go in?" no you can't!  :huh:

I had a fish salesman let himself in my gate while storm was out there!

Needless to say he got told off and we now hsve the gate locked therefore no more sales calls for me coz no bugger can get to the door :)

Is funny watching my post woman dancing to get my attention tho lol shes hysterical x

I made the mistake of answering the door to two gentlemen with the exact same intro and I got in to a discussion about it with them. And they knock every other week now, I'm sure we have exhausted the topic (right when I was losing & just lost Diesel too, not the best time).

Also, I have had delivery milkmen in the past but they only lasted a month or two as their promises of "delivered before you go to work, be around 5am" turned out to be more like 9am & the milk stayed there all day - please do what you say as that was the very reason I accepted your business :rolleyes:

The best one was a company who are in the home improvement market - UPVC windows, doors, gutters etc - and they knocked on my door, insulting the age of the windows on the property & stating I would be renewing them soon not realising they had just walked past Grumpy's van outside clearly displaying replacement doors, windows, guttering etc for the firm he sub-contracted to! Oops!! :lol:

at one point I believe you'd just close the door and lock it  :rolleyes:

No, he actually politely said no problem and dissapeared, however most do these days due to their reputation previously for doing otherwise. Putting foot in the door etc. Not very wise at my house or would be taking a visit to A+E (ED for you americans) for a broken foot.

just to add: I think the reason why I get so little door-to-door salesman is because Dime stands guard. He has this weird ability to tell if the person ringing the doorbell is a stranger or not. If it's a stranger, he'd come out and stare dead into their eyes until somebody comes out. Stand there a second too long and he'd start letting out a single, low-toned bark. Not scary IMO but it's enough to discourage those salesman.

just to add: I think the reason why I get so little door-to-door salesman is because Dime stands guard. He has this weird ability to tell if the person ringing the doorbell is a stranger or not. If it's a stranger, he'd come out and stare dead into their eyes until somebody comes out. Stand there a second too long and he'd start letting out a single, low-toned bark. Not scary IMO but it's enough to discourage those salesman.

Ours would bounce on em to death lol

I have a sign on my front door that says SALES People?? NO Thanks...and the have left me alone ever since I put it on there about 3 years ago....

before that they got a sturdy No thanks not interested...

And you're right Marc, I get *very* few people knocking on my door.  Never had any salesmen, religious or otherwise; occasionally have someone stopping to ask if I know where someone lives. We have almost no road signs and if you don't know how to find someone, you're out of luck - 'course that's why we live out here, LOL!

Had a guy trying to flirt outrageously with me one time, clearly he rated himself as something special and thought he was gods gift to women. I sent him packing empty handed. :)

I know, I was most upset that day :P

I have a sign on my front door that says SALES People?? NO Thanks...and the have left me alone ever since I put it on there about 3 years ago....

before that they got a sturdy No thanks not interested...

Over here thats an invitation LOL

And you're right Marc, I get *very* few people knocking on my door.  Never had any salesmen, religious or otherwise; occasionally have someone stopping to ask if I know where someone lives. We have almost no road signs and if you don't know how to find someone, you're out of luck - 'course that's why we live out here, LOL!

LOL .. of course

We live in a rural subdivision with about 100 homes. We get girl scouts selling cookies and boy scouts selling popcorn, and I always buy something because they are kids. Magazine sales-no. Watch Tower-no. Blacktop pavers-no. They all come around about once a year.

I am glad I live in a townhome complex that forbids solicitors, so I never get anyone here trying to sell stuff.  Before the only people that came to my door before I lived here were selling magazines and I usually would pretend I wasnt home lol.

Marc I'm so sorry I wasn't aware that you wuz dead, Please accept my condolences,

Looking forward to seeing you at camp :P

As you can imagine I would react if they dare knock.......

I have 2 of these signs up one on the front room window and one on the front door....

Free_Printable_MSE_Cold_Callers_Sign.jpg

No there have been one or to that dare knock either can't read ( which I always ask ) or very brave either way I never had same one come back twice  :rolleyes: