People Coming To My Door - Un-Announced

Marc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do occasionally get people coming to the door to sell things but not so much these days. A number of years ago when we were going through quite a bad patch a guy came to the door and started up in the standard sellers way. Before he could finish what he was saying I jumped in and said "not interested thanks" and proceeded to shut the door. The guy put his foot in the door........big mistake. The door was slammed and the guy screamed and hobbled off down the path in agony. Turns out he was a bailiff. Unfortunately, and pardon the pun, he hadn't got any court papers so he didn't have a leg to stand on. Also turns out that he was one of my old Staff Sergeants from when I was in the army, I hadn't recognised him. I still see him occasionally and we now have a laugh about it. Turns out he remembered a little row I had while I was a serving member of her Majesty's forces and commented I should have known better. :D

Gary.

Yeah, I get a few that come around every season. Like clockwork.

Painters. Gardners. Roofers. Window people. They all get the polite, "No thanks, not interested.".

But, when people come around asking for donations (cancer, etc), and when kids come around selling cookies or chocolate bars...I just can't say no. 

I hate these guys that turn up and  I'm from xxxxxxxx and I want to examine your  loft to check your insulation .................. and then get shirty because I refuse to let them.  

Or there are the salesmen from the power companies..... I want to see your bills.....Who do you get your power from........ Why don't you have dual fuel bills ? and these also tend to talk to you as though you are something they scrape off their shoes if you refuse  to give/show  them any information

needless to say. they all get short shrift , from both my wife , and myself :)

We are in the middle of nowhere so rarely get cold callers, though on occasion we get the unsavoury scrap metal wagons turn up.  In the past I've always felt a tad nervous when they arrive and beep their horn, going out and telling them in my best French 'no we don't have any scrap' though clearly they can see we have a collection of old broken down cars :). There are usually 2 burly men and they are quite persistent. However since having the dogs, I usually grab their leads and take them outside with me. Of course dogs are going nuts, with Harry howling and Snowy barking his head off, obviously the men don't realise all the dogs want to do is lick them but it's enough to send them packing, they don't seem to want to try and buy my rubbish any more :)