Do You Let Your Dog Roam Free In Your Yard?

copwife517

We have a fenced in yard, but unfortunately it is only a 4 ft fence(it was here when we moved in). Obviously Sadie will jump that fence no problem. Eventually I would like to get a taller fence. In the meantime I will probably have to use a tie out. The problem I have now is we just rescued our 1 year old husky in December, and because it has just been wicked cold and snowy I cannot get the thing in the ground. So right now she just gets taken out on her lead. I feel bad because I know she needs to run and she wants to play in the snow, but I just don't know what to do. The kids keep her active, but I know it's just not the same.

our garden is about 5ft fence/gates. storm is the only one that is allowed outside on his own.

he is pretty trust worthy, doesnt even try to escape. and I check on him. hes also 3 and ive had him from a pup so that makes a difference i guess.

the girls are supervised only.

on the other hand i dont have a choice if i dont let him outside he barks and barks and barks.

Edited by Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

We have a six ft fence but it's not secure at the bottom all the way around. She dug out once into the neighbors yard and they had left their gate open so she went free range. Luckily someone recognized her as mine and brought her to my house, I hadn't even realized she was gone. It all happened in about five minutes. <br /><br />I have fortified the bottom of the fence but I know it isn't dig proof. She is let outside on her own, but only if I'm in the kitchen where I can watch her, or if I'm willing to get up every 2-3 minutes to see where she is. We also bought a GPS tracking system and it's always on when she's in the yard. It won't help her not get hit by a car but at least I can track her down if she gets free.

I have a 6 ft fence with concrete underneath and a husky that doesn't really jump. Dime is still not allowed to roam the garden without supervision. Not only because we have a koi pond and a delicate garden, but also because Diamond knows exactly how to push the gate open and take off!  :( back before my dad decided we need a new garden, Dime has a personal digging spot at one corner of the then deserted garden. He's allowed to dig there but not anywhere else so still needs supervision :)

Like Elyse said, is there something you could put the tie out around, like a tree in the mean time?  I live in a townhouse, so my back "yard" is about 20x20 with mulch so there is no where for them to escape lol.

Other than that, I would probably do what you are already doing..letting him out on the lead. 

And welcome fellow Indiana person :)

Like Elyse said, is there something you could put the tie out around, like a tree in the mean time?  I live in a townhouse, so my back "yard" is about 20x20 with mulch so there is no where for them to escape lol.

Other than that, I would probably do what you are already doing..letting him out on the lead. 

And welcome fellow Indiana person :)

Not only am I in indiana, I also live in crown point! What a small world!

Wow!  It is a small world!  We sometimes have some husky meet ups in the area at one of the local dog parks if you are interested.  I used to belong to the dog park in Lowell but never renewed my membership.  There is a free one in Highland that we have been to as well, and an indoor park we go to in Valparaiso. 

I am right on Broadway in Crown Point just north of US 231!

Not only am I in indiana, I also live in crown point! What a small world!

(( Sheesh, take it to PM, guys!! :) ))

Kerry, when I went to San Antonio to get Sasha the people there had a 4 foot fence and she never tried to jump it - 'course she's also one who VERY seldom get on two feet. She's quite content to have all four on the ground.

Avalanche on the other hand jumps off and on my front porch - again it's about 4 feet - and doesn't seem to think twice about it.

In your case, I might - very carefully - see how she handles the fence.  What you might do is to have your eldest stand outside the fence and call her while you have her on a long (30-100 feet) lead.  If she readily jumps it you know you're in trouble.

If you can't get the stake in the ground go for the "Bigger Hammer" routine!  << tease >>

How cool!

Yeah the one in Highland is at Wicker Park, right off Indianapolis Blvd.  It's pretty small, and no real grass there, but if the ground is frozen and snowy it's not too bad...I just wouldn't go if it rained recently.  The only other free one is in Portage, but it is a converted baseball diamond, so the fences are very low and didn't seem secure.  All of the other dog parks in the area require an annual fee, and some offer day passes, like Lemon Lake Park. 

We also take the dogs to some of the stores in the area to socialize, like PetSmart, PetCo, Alsip Nursery, Tractor Supply and Bass Pro Shop. 

My son works at the stracks on Broadway over there! I know exactly where you are at. I live northwest of the square off of summit.

I have often wondered how she would behave at a dog park. Is the highland one in wicker park? I know where that one is.

:P

Hey I don't find many neighbors on H-O!! 

(( Sheesh, take it to PM, guys!! :) ))

Kerry, when I went to San Antonio to get Sasha the people there had a 4 foot fence and she never tried to jump it - 'course she's also one who VERY seldom get on two feet. She's quite content to have all four on the ground.

Avalanche on the other hand jumps off and on my front porch - again it's about 4 feet - and doesn't seem to think twice about it.

In your case, I might - very carefully - see how she handles the fence.  What you might do is to have your eldest stand outside the fence and call her while you have her on a long (30-100 feet) lead.  If she readily jumps it you know you're in trouble.

If you can't get the stake in the ground go for the "Bigger Hammer" routine!  << tease >>

I don't have a yard secure enough to hold my pair, so they get an early morning and late afternoon walk or run (we bike or sometimes they pull the cart or toboggan) every day. Their treat is to get to go the dog park to run, which has a 6' fence. Other than that, during the day they are in the Kennel. Afternoons, evenings, and weekends they get to hang in the house. I've found that when I've tried to tie them, they get bored easily, even if they are close enough to play with each other and then they dig. I've bought a number of 6' kennel panels which I plan to set up as my own private enclosure, but weather and other things haven't cooperated yet.

Before I moved into my current property I spent £3000 ($4500) 

having a 6ft closeboard fence put around the 150ft long garden.

Secure :D

My husband wants to build a large kennel with a roof in the backyard. They aren't cheap, but it's still cheaper than putting up a new fence. To me it seems confining, and I would rather her have free roam of the yard, but the kennel may keep her from escaping.

That could be an option.  When it warms up and you are able to put a stake in the ground that may work better.  I bought a heavy duty stake at Bass Pro Shop that is up to like 150lbs.  The ones that you get at the pet stores are made cheap, and I don't trust them.  I also got the coated wire cable to use to tie mine out when I take my dogs to my friend's house.  They live on 3 acres and don't have a fence so I don't have a choice. 

We have six foot close board fences too. Put them in to replace our old ones that were very weak. Bear literally stuck her head through one panel and made a large hole in it, because she heard our neighbour in the garden and wanted to say hi. Bet they got a shock! Lol

Only issue we do have is that our neighbours fence is split halfway. Half of it is six foot the rest is five foot with another half foot of trellis on top. They peek through the trellis when the neighbour is but haven't attempted to scale it. They are allowed offlead in our garden but only when an adult is at home to keep watch. Worst they could do is run around the neighbours garden, there's no way out from there, however it's just basic manners to keep your dogs out of someone else's garden! :)

I think my fence here at our new house is like 4 foot and not very secure at the bottom. I let my two and barely need to surpervise. They were so used to not running around freely when we were at our apartment that I think the half acre we have here is plenty to keep them happy. Haven't seen them attempt to escape once so far. But I think we do plan to put up a privacy fence eventually.

i use a 50 foot tree to tree lead for Maya as she will jump the fence. Storm is pretty trustworthy so i'll just let them out. usually within 4 minutes storm is back at the door and Maya is done with her business.  This summer i'm building a wood fence 6 feet tall with another 2 feet of extension at the top and secured on the bottom so they can run and play.

Lola and Nook roam our backyard its 50ft x 200ft. privacy fence is 6ft high and we have a bottom board thats 10in with a 2in gap between the bottom board and the fence so the girls can look out heres part of it post-11042-13904430922985_thumb.jpg

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!