How Do You Say That???

Removed #5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and you're the type who would pronounce Worcester the same as Leicester!!  Big help you are!!

Sorry Al' what I meant was we pronounce them the same way as you Wooster and lester

Being a bit less of a weisenheimer - you're saying that you pronounce "Worcester" as "Woostah"??

<< laughing >> Thanks Andy, didn't see your post before I replied to Emma.

Yep. Whether I'm pronouncing it correctly is another matter entirely. The Worst area for me is in London. "southwark" I pronounce it "Suffolk" which is of course, another area entirely, lol.

Okay, carrying this a bit further - what's the derivation of the names?  I've heard it said that they derive from Latin that the -cester is a corruption of the Latin castra; however, Leicester under Roman rule was Ratae Corieltauvorum - how does that derive?  Where does the Lei part of Leicester come from.

I can easily see how the -shire comes about since the shire is similar to our county and the 'county seat' often has the same name as the county.

For an explanation of part of this, I enjoy reading historical fiction and the derivation of place names in England is interesting.

Okay, carrying this a bit further - what's the derivation of the names?  I've heard it said that they derive from Latin that the -cester is a corruption of the Latin castra; however, Leicester under Roman rule was Ratae Corieltauvorum - how does that derive?  Where does the Lei part of Leicester come from.

I can easily see how the -shire comes about since the shire is similar to our county and the 'county seat' often has the same name as the county.

For an explanation of part of this, I enjoy reading historical fiction and the derivation of place names in England is interesting.

I used to live in Oxford Originally Oxenford or a shallow place in the river Thames where the farmers could cross with their Oxen.

Also a safe place for travellers to cross the Thames before bridges were built.

and Thames is pronounced Tems

Our colonial cousins delight in accidentally mispronouncing British place names.

Take the County of Herefordshire, You guys would stress the Ford and Shire

Whereas we pronounce it Herre Fud Shuh, Oxfordshire, Ox Fud Shuh, Leicestershire, Lester shuh. . . 

and so on

and I fall smack in the middle of that ... Herefordshire would become Her-Ferd-Sher - but then I grew up where we had Hereford for milk cows.

Finally Googled the right thing and came up with:

Leicester: This unusual name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and is a locational surname deriving from Leicester, the county town of Leicestershire. The placename is recorded in the "Anglo-Saxon Chronicles" of 942 as "Ligora Ceaster", and in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Ledecestre", the derivation being from the Old English pre 7th Century tribal name "Ligore", meaning "dwellers on the river Legra" with "Ceaster" a Roman fort, from the Latin "Castra", legionary camp.

and for Worcester

The placename is recorded in the Saxon Chronicles as "Uueogorna ceastre" (889) and as "Wigraceaster" (904), and appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Wirecestre". The city is named from the addition of the Olde English pre 7th Century "ceaster", Roman fort, from the Latin "castra", legionary camp, to an ancient British (pre Roman) tribal name of uncertain origin, "Wigoran" or "Weogoran". The tribal name is thought to be derived from a river name identical with the Wyre in Lancashire, which means "winding river".
Edited by Al Jones

Don't get me started on this :) French pronunciation is a nightmare of English words and their own. They pronounce Paris as Parry and The river Thames as Temise, work that one out! Any word with a 'th' in it is pronounced as just the 't' for example a town near me is spelt 'Parthenay' said as 'Part en ay' though the name Thomas is said with a silent 'h' in both French and English.

Language is so interesting :)

now that the topic has turned to city names in various languages... I'd say names in Chinese are even crazier :lol: Beijing is actually pronounced pay-cheeng instead of bei-jeeng. The catch is; every letter "B" is pronounced as "P" and every letter "P" is pronounced as "B". Even more confusing: every letter "t" is pronounced as "d", every letter "d" is pronounced as "t". Every letter "g" is pronounced as "k" and every letter "k" is pronounced "g"! :lol:

now that the topic has turned to city names in various languages... I'd say names in Chinese are even crazier :lol: Beijing is actually pronounced pay-cheeng instead of bei-jeeng. The catch is; every letter "B" is pronounced as "P" and every letter "P" is pronounced as "B". Even more confusing: every letter "t" is pronounced as "d", every letter "d" is pronounced as "t". Every letter "g" is pronounced as "k" and every letter "k" is pronounced "g"! :lol:

:o  :huskyfall:   :rofl: and you call us strange :P

I've often wondered, Liv, about those people who "invented" Romaji (okay, that's Japanese transliteration).  They must have had a very odd 'ear'.  How the city could have gone from "Peking" to"Peiping" to "Beijing" is beyond me ... I'm sure the locals all changed the way they pronounce the name.

From my time in the orient, I'm all too aware that the way the western ear hears oriental sounds can be confusing, but that the government of the country authored many of these changes is way beyond "what we hear".

Oh, the way you all seem to pronounce 'Schiphol', 'Scheveningen' and even 'Gouda' is always interesting :P I just so happen to stumble upon a website where you can search for words and how they are pronounced locally and in other languages so you can hear it for yourself how its supposed to be.

Schiphol, Scheveningen and Gouda

I do not have a problem with the English accent or the other way round....ok it helps that I lived there for 15/16 years altogether and that I am married to an English lady..... :D  :lol:

Edited by robke

I have to take exception to that Clare, I had an associate whose family lives in Holland (how she landed here I have *no* idea) I was constantly amazed how unaccented their English was...  There were times that they'd throw in a Dutch word or two, which would leave the rest of us stumbling.  The father of the crowd was amazing, he spoke (at least) Dutch, English, German, Spanish, French and I have no idea what else!  Blew all us 'mercan away!!!

Edited by Al Jones