19fee92

Hi, 

My name is Fiona, I have a Siberian husky called Maple, she is 5 years old. Maple was in a foster home before I adopted her and has had no training whatsoever, even the basics. She will not listen to me at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with her? 

post-11346-0-17777500-1390235521_thumb.j

Hi Fee and welcome to the forum.  Suggest going out to the pet store and buying a BIG bag of patience and a small bag of treats.  Most Husky's are food driven and using that as a tool to get her to do what you want is probably going to be the easiest way.

Now, you've got a beautiful dog there, laying nicely while you take her picture - what is it that she does or doesn't do that's the problem?  (( Uh, is that a piece of your coffee table she's got between her paws?? ))

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Huskies are pretty stubborn at the best of times but even more so initially. Over time as you develop a bond, they do tend to listen a bit more. if no trainings been done then you'll need to start from scratch like you would a pup. Training classes as mentioned can be beneficial. Good luck. :)

Hi Fee and welcome to the forum.  Suggest going out to the pet store and buying a BIG bag of patience and a small bag of treats.  Most Husky's are food driven and using that as a tool to get her to do what you want is probably going to be the easiest way.

Now, you've got a beautiful dog there, laying nicely while you take her picture - what is it that she does or doesn't do that's the problem?  (( Uh, is that a piece of your coffee table she's got between her paws?? ))

thanks so much  :)  she just doesn't do as she is told ever haha, n0o thaats her dog chew  :rofl:

Welcome aboard. A fair bit of research has shown that the critical time for training your pup the basics is from 6 to 16 weeks. Obviously you are out of that critical period - that doesn't mean that Maple cannot learn the basics, it just means that you are going to have a bit of an uphill battle. Unfortunately Siberians aren't exactly know for doing what they are told anyway, so an older dog that is already well past that critical time is going to be even more of a challenge. Certainly hiring a professional is not a bad idea at all, but it can be expensive and it can be done by you if you have the time and patience. But you are going to need a LOT of patience. Consistency and patience are going to be the keys, and food is going to become your absolute best friend. First thing to figure out is what type of treat will Maple do anything to get. Every dog has one and it varies considerably. My male, Tayga, could care less about most treats - if I want to give him one fine, he might eat it and he might not bother. If I pull out one of the Blue Wilderness cookies however, he will stand on his head to get it. Every dog has that favorite treat, it might be bananas, it might be grapes, it might be a cookie. Whatever it is, once you figure it out, you are good to get started.

Remember that Siberians get bored very easily, and once Maple gets bored, she is going to stop paying attention to anything and will stop anything you ask. Once she hits that point, don't force the issue, it is counter productive. Stop and give her a break, let her play, let her rest, let her run whatever. Then come back and do it again later. Keep your training periods short.

First thing she needs to learn is her name, just like a brand new puppy. Start by simply saying her name and giving her the treat. Then slowly moving to only giving her the treat if she actually looks at you when you say her name. Gradually, she will learn that when you say her name, she needs to look at you or she might miss that treat. Once she gets to the point where every single time you say her name, she looks (even if she is across the room and you have to throw the treat to her), you can start weaning her off the treats and you are ready to progress forward to the next step.

Hopefully that helps.

I definitely suggest using the Nothing in Life is Free training method. If she is food oriented, use her food as currency. If she wants a treat, she doesn't get one until she "sits". Before meal times, she does not get her food until you allow her to. I think there are a lot of posts on this forum about NILIF and you can google it too, there are a lot of articles.

She sure is a sweetheart though!

• 4 weeks later...