Puppy Stress

jamie615

Me and my girlfriend are under some serious puppy stress. Now I'm sure it's very common but it's not good.

We have just bought our first house and we got shadow within a month of moving in.

Now the other half is very very house proud and is getting very stressed about the mess ect.

We both feel like we haven't had time to enjoy our house.

Shadow stays in the kitchen and unless it has been cleaned that day and we have scented candles burning you can smell her. Now I'm not sure if it is her or the potty training accidents. But you would have to scrub the kitchen every day and it is stressful.

I am out for work from 8-6 and the girlfriend works 2-3 days a week from 10-10.

We feel it would be so much easier without her bit we love her so much we don't know what to do.

We don't want people round without spending an hour plus cleaning. That's not normal or enjoyable. Stressed out and keep thinking it would be so much easier without her but are also afraid of letting her go to a bad home. What to do what to do.........

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of know what you are going through, as I bought my first house in December 2011, and got my first puppy in February 2012...

Honestly, I would love to say it is going to get better soon, but you have potentially a few months of potty training and accidents to deal with.  I am not intending to be mean, so please don't take it this way, but what did you expect with a puppy?  They can take some time to train, and there are going to be accidents.  Once you get through that, there are going to be times he may throw up, have stomach issues, etc.  Not to mention when it's time to blow his coat.  If she is that house proud, I don't think a puppy (and a husky at that) was the best choice. 

My only advice is that your going to have to deal with it, and face the fact that your house is not going to be perfectly cleaned.  There are some things you can use to get rid of the pee smell, such as special cleaners made for urine odors.  Also, using candles may help, get some doggie deodorizer that you spray on the dog's coat.  I was proud of my house too, and at first felt stressed with it not being clean.  Now, I clean almost every day, but I am not as thorough as I used to be.  

I seriously hope it gets better for you, and I know it's stressful, trust me, I have been there!  There were days I wanted to cry because I thought I made a huge mistake, but it DOES get better.  I suggest you stick with it, and try your best.  I would hate the puppy to be rehomed just because you don't want to clean up after him.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the pack :-) Huskies generally don't smell , so it might be the toileting, puppies are very much like babies , they toilet a lot , she ideally needs someone taking her out every hour or so and straight after sleeping , eating drinking playing etc n whilst she's still young need supervision to make sure you can take her out if she's showing signs of needing the toilet and so she doesn't become destructive if she gets bored on her own in the kitchen

I understand when u say what did u expect but we have had toy breeds in the past so everything is more now.

There are other things like people not wanting to come round because of her just not sure what to do. It was me that pushed to get her and it is not the other half who is suffering.

Where do you keep your dogs when your out??

Personaly I don't think huskies and people who are overly house proud mix well, mostly because of the hair, when she blows her coat, you'll go mad :/

Huskies are not smelly dogs, so its probably the potty, once you get through potty training stage it should be much more manageable. :)

Crate training for when you're out is great, so you can be sure that both your girl and your house are safe! (My girl who has separation anxiety had ripped out part of the bathroom floor and chewed the door frame when I was out, so definately safer in the crate lol)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to discourage you, but huskies are messy. They shed. They dig and drag dirty feet in. There will be hair and dirt anywhere you allow her to be. The potty training should get better, but our house is messier now than when she was a puppy. If mess is going to be a problem, I'd work really hard on keeping her off furniture.

I agree with crate training her too because if she is left alone she may destroy things in your house. But mostly I'd ask you to really consider if you are both prepared to deal with it long term. Puppies are probably easier to rehome, unfortunately. Good luck!

Edited by Chula

THis may across as harsh and I don't mean for this to be too critical. I can relate to a certain extent, but after my extensive research I decided that the 'negatives' of husky ownership will be fine by me. I pictured a worst case scenario - expect the worst and everything else is a bonus.

You need to decide whether you will ever be truly happy with Husky companionship. If you can honesty say you will be fine with shedding, chewing furniture etc then there will be strategies to help you with some of the traits. 

If you decide it won't work then contact the breeder asap or look to rehome him. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS Look into a "Lampe Berger" (google it) they are far better that scented candle and were used in hospitals in the 1800s to manage smells and airborne pathogens in hospitals. They have great smelling "perfumes" lots of us pipe smokers use them to rid the house of tobacco smell and nothing works better.

Thanks I think we will crate her but a quick crate question. At what age can I crate her for 6-8 hours and do u give her water while in the crate?
Rule of thumb for crating is an hour for each month of age +1. We have two pups... A monster Malamute, who's 21 months old, and a Huskamute who's 7 months old. We both work full-time, and trained them to be on their own for up to 11 hours a day. This took weeks to do. Kala the Huskamute still has the occasional accident, but Kodi is great. They keep each other company, which helps. We don't crate them, but we do block off areas that they are not allowed in. One thing, which has been mentioned, northern breed dogs are not the easiest to contend with, especially if your use to toy breeds. They have a completely different personality and require a lot of training. But, if you are willing to do the work, they will be the best dogs ever. Huskies/Mals do not (or should I say should not) give off any odour. This is more likely to be because of potty accidents. If you do decide to keep your pup, I would highly recommend that you invest in a good quality vacuum... Especially when she blows her coat... As we're not talking a couple of hairs... We are talking the whole of her undercoat... Grooming regularly will help, but her coat will blow. Edited by RJS

This may come off as rude but honestly, Husky's are nothing like "toy breeds" they require daily discipline and care far more than most other breeds.

You CAN have a clean house but it takes x2 as long to clean when you have a Husky breed because of all the shedding ect...

It seems that you didn't fully do your research into the breed before purchasing one, that's not to say you can't quickly turn this around and start learning on what you need/needn't do.

If you're going to keep him make sure you're not confining him outside 24/7 with no excercise or interaction for him to then be put up for adoption months later. I'd have a long-hard think of what it is you and your partner really wants. Whatever  your decision may be, you can rely on everyone here on HO to give good advice.

Hopefully you don't take offense at the suggestions, we are only trying to help.  It sounds like mostly stress, and I can relate as I had a tough time with my first puppy.  It's understandable.  As for the crating, mine are crated from 8-12 and 1-4 Monday - Friday since they were 8 weeks old.  If both of you are gone, and can come home for lunch, or ask someone you know to come home so he can have a potty break that would be best.

We just want you to know now that while it does get easier with potty training, you will still have to deal with the coat blow, and other things that come with having a dog.  Unlike toy breeds, a husky will need ALOT of exercise and early and consistent training.  They are a lot of work but worth it.   

Coat blows are the most fun , you end up literally eating fur , it gets everywhere even when you've brushed it all out it still seems to carry on, my girl is the messiest, she loves jumping in puddles lol , she's happiest when she's covered in mud or paddling in her waterbowl :-/ lol and she went through a chewing stage when she hit her teenage stage so that's something to be aware of too. Some huskies are fine but the teenage stage will make you think you think you've got a puppy again that doesn't remember things like how to sit or not to jump on the counter lol it's like they just forget all their training , but if you can get past the dirt the fur and the (possible) destruction she could cause (my girl chewed everything - from shoes to cables) then they really are an amazing breed so lovely n never fail to make u smile everyday no matter what :-)

Hello! I feel your pain and must be doubly hard if you and your partner want different things when it comes to having a nice home and a puppy.

I'm afraid to say that I couldn't imagine having a 'nice home' and dogs, unless they are kept outside. Their feet and belly gets wet and muddy, they slobber and chew over everything and of course the accidents and truck loads of dog hair :) 

For me Huskies are like one of the family and want to be included in everything you do, so if your little one is being excluded, then house training is going to be a lot harder. I think you and your partner need to have a long talk about what you really want, what's most important, then once you've agreed act on it.  If you decide to keep your pup and deal with the 'mess' then it will get worse before it gets better and of course there will be set backs. I love my dogs to pieces and we have a very dog friendly home (old farmhouse) so it never looks nice and clean anyway and there are times their shedding and muddy paws drive me nuts but I couldn't be without my dogs.

If you are seriously thinking of rehoming your puppy then doing it sooner would be the kindest thing to do, before she becomes too attached to you and will only be harder to rehome once she gets bigger.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

I won't add anything as you've already received a ton of great suggestions from my fellow husky owners, but I decided I'd chime in anyways.

First off, I believe everyone who have replied, me included, are not trying to guilt-trip or judge you. We're here to help, and unfortunately the best answer to your question is: you're expecting a little  too much of your dog. I'll be honest, that is in fact the first thing that came to mind when I read your thread. Huskies are definitely not for those who minds the mess. Unless you're willing to work in the next few months to properly potty-train the pup (and it means cleaning even MORE pees and poops. Which smell. Badly.) there's not much more we can suggest.

Some have mentioned about returning the dog to the breeder and you did say you've thought of that too, but personally I'd ask you to work a little more with her. Stay there a little longer. Hang in there. We, this forum, are here for you. We're more than willing to help, and definitely won't mind listening to a rant or three. There might also be some members who live close by, and I'm sure they won't mind meeting you to give even more detailed tips. I know it's very stressful right now, but (excuse me if I sound harsh) you have bought that dog. You brought her to a family and gave her a home to call her own. It's a big deal. There are millions out there who spent years in cages/kennels without a loving family. Can't easily give up on her after giving her such blessing, can you? :)

If it's any consolation, I went through several hellish months myself when I first adopted my boy. He was a literal nightmare with four feet. And yes, I did spend a few days contemplating the pros and cons of returning him to his foster home. I don't know what stopped me from picking up that phone, but it DOES get better. Huskies are messy, stubborn, fluffy (in a messy way), loud and escapes a lot but they DO worth every drip of sweat, blood and tear. If, IF... the decision is yours..., you're willing to do a lot of hard work for them, you'll soon see :)

Hey Jamie;  So you've got a new puppy and a new house, congratulations! 

I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you, but most of what I would say has already been said.  Having dogs (or kids) and a spotlessly clean house are almost diametrical opposites - it just doesn't happen.  If this looks like it's going to become and remain an issue, then if you really love that puppy, talk to the breeder and see if they can find a more suitable home.

On the other hand, if you (and your OH) can accept that you have a puppy who's going to grow into a comfortable companion then put the work into making your home as Husky proof as you can and relax and enjoy life.

I have to agree that if you smell a doggy odor - at this point - it's probably because of "mistakes" that will go away in time but it's going to take time and active participation from both of you to house train her.

Not all Husky's are good in a house, not all Husky's are good around people (most are, though); not everyone who gets a Husky - even those who've done their homework - are prepared for what it really means to have a Husky in the house.

As the others have said, we're here if you need help.  While most of us would probably like you to keep the puppy - we all really hate to see a dog go from one home to another - there are reasons to rehome.

Edited by Al Jones

I was thinking about this post a lot last night. I wanted to add that when we first got Chula, there was SO MUCH stress in our home. Having a puppy is really hard work, and having a headstrong husky is extra hard work. My other half and I fought over her all the time.  We still have an occasional tiff or two over how to discipline or feed her, but ultimately after the weeks of yelling at each other, she has really brought us together.

Yes, life is easier without a husky puppy. But easy doesn't mean better. :)  If your puppy is anything like mine, she will make you laugh, she will encourage you to be active, she will challenge you, she will open you up to new activities and meeting new people. I was never a dog person, and there were days/weeks where I though we made the biggest mistake of our lives - but our husky has been the single-most wonderful thing to happen to us. If you guys can just agree that things will be different with a husky than they were with a toy breed, and change your expectations both of her and of your home, I really believe you won't regret it.

Thanks everyone for your help and not just saying I should have expected this.

I did do as much research as I could but I guess the reality is a bit different.

I haven't mentioned this yet but we think my girlfriend is allergic to her. She has been going back and forth to the doctors for over a month now we had thought it was asthma but now think it may be a dog allergy. She is going to the doctors on Monday to get tested. It is this allergy that has pushed us over the edge. It's bad enough trying to clean up after the pup never mind trying to do it while wheezing.

If it turns out she is allergic we will have to rehome her. I have contacted a local husky rehome charity and they have a couple who have just put down there 8 year old husky who may be interested.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for your help and not just saying I should have expected this.

I did do as much research as I could but I guess the reality is a bit different.

I haven't mentioned this yet but we think my girlfriend is allergic to her. She has been going back and forth to the doctors for over a month now we had thought it was asthma but now think it may be a dog allergy. She is going to the doctors on Monday to get tested. It is this allergy that has pushed us over the edge. It's bad enough trying to clean up after the pup never mind trying to do it while wheezing.

If it turns out she is allergic we will have to rehome her. I have contacted a local husky rehome charity and they have a couple who have just put down there 8 year old husky who may be interested.

I will keep you posted.

I was hoping that you wouldn't take offense at anything that people have suggested.  We just wanted to get a picture of what your going through, and give as best suggestions as possible.  If your girlfriend is allergic and you have to rehome her, I am glad you found a husky rescue.  It really sounds like you have done your research.  I know how it is though...I did my research too, and I was very overwhelmed when I got my puppy, so I can relate.  

Good luck

I remember when I got my husky Gohan when he was about 9 weeks old. Yes its super stressful the first months because its honestly like having a baby. He peed and pooped in the house and cage sometimes. We had to take him out several times a day. But let me tell you one thing, I don't regret it. Its hard in the beginning but it gets way better. As they get older and smarter, they know whats wrong and whats not. Trust me when I say you shouldn't give him away unless its a huge issue regarding something else. Because I'm extremely happy having Gohan. I love him to death.  You'll love yours more everyday. But for now, its the hard part. It gets better!!  :grouphug:

Talk to the breeder you got her from most decent breeders will want her back instead ov not knowing what has happened to their pup

Already tried the breeder they haven't space to keep her and don't want to try and sell her. They were just a couple who's pets got busy lol