Common Phrases That You Use Daily That The Rest Of Us May Not Know!

Osinn11

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Eh" 

From wikipedia, because 'Eh' can mean a lot of things depending on context:

According to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, is for "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed" as in, "It's four kilometres away, eh, so I have to go by bike." In that case, eh? is used to confirm the attention of the listener and to invite a supportive noise such as "Mm" or "Oh" or "Okay". This usage may be paraphrased as "I'm checking to see that you're [listening/following/in agreement] so I can continue." Grammatically, this usage constitutes an interjection; functionally, it is an implicit request for back-channel communication.

"Eh" can also be added to the end of a declarative sentence to turn it into a question. For example: "The weather is nice." becomes "The weather is nice, eh?" This same phrase could also be taken as "The weather is nice, don't you agree?". In this usage, it is virtually identical to the Dutch "hè?", the Japanese "ne?" or the Mandarin "bÄ". This usage differs from the French usage of "n'est-ce pas?" ("Is it not?") in that it does not use a (technically double or emphatic) negative.

There are a lot of words you guys on the other side of the pond use that I have to either look up and try to interpret what they mean LOL. 

My favorite is "knackerd" but there are many more that I enjoy :)

Often while in chat I read things that I have no idea what they mean. So do you have an everyday phrase that you use that maybe some of us don't have a clue what it means? Go on...please share! :D

Ha ha. Think I've educated you a fair few English words recently. :angel:

"Dumb as a bucket of Spanners"

Not very intelligent.

"He only has one braincell, It's schitzophrenic and it's so stoopid it won't even talk to itself"

Stubbornly idiotic

"Dumb as a bucket of Spanners"

Not very intelligent.

"He only has one braincell, It's schitzophrenic and it's so stoopid it won't even talk to itself"

Stubbornly idiotic

I did meet a few of these on the road today,,,  but I called the something else that cannot be mentioned on this family forum.....

ha ha heres a few

buzzin / wicked / top one         means same as cool

init i use this loads instead of isnt it

willie eckers like              means no he will not            

all i think of the above are very northern english we normally shout these wile walking around dragging our knuckles on the path walking around like liam gallagher from oasis if you dont know of him youtube him and watch his best bits vids lmao

ha ha heres a few

buzzin / wicked / top one         means same as cool

init i use this loads instead of isnt it

willie eckers like              means no he will not            

all i think of the above are very northern english we normally shout these wile walking around dragging our knuckles on the path walking around like liam gallagher from oasis if you dont know of him youtube him and watch his best bits vids lmao

You forgot the "hoooo!" took me ages to realise you weren't spelling "oh!" the wrong way round, lol.

Tha makes a better door than a window! - Yorkshire for 'Excuse me, you're in my way!'

Brassic - Skint/Low on cash

Gedditet! - Something I say a lot to Nika, meaning 'Get it et!' or get that food eaten haha!

Minging - Gross

Were you born in a barn?! - Used to tell someone to shut the door

Wheesht! - Be quiet!

Steaming - Drunk

Boak! - Used like 'bleugh' when words don't describe how disgusting something is!

Our lass/Our lad/Our big 'un/Our young 'un - Girlfriend, boyfriend, older sibling or member of family (usually male), and little member of the family respectively.

And what will probably be the non-British people's favourite:

Cock - A term of endearment to anyone, from anyone over the age of 45! 'Eyup cock!'

- Caity

Cock - A term of endearment to anyone, from anyone over the age of 45! 'Eyup cock!'

- Caity

I'm not afraid to admit that this made me laugh because it would mean something completely different over here :rofl:

the ones from america that get me are

why do you say period after a sentence ???????????     that word here means something totally different lol

We use that as kind of an enunciation, we use it instead of saying 'conversation over, what I said goes'.  It's got several meanings over here as well but when it's used in that way it's like saying 'I'm done talking about this'.  For example:  "We're not going over there, period." in effect means "We're not going over there, end of discussion, no arguing."

I'm not afraid to admit that this made me laugh because it would mean something completely different over here :rofl:

Yeah, it has the same meaning over here, just in a different context! Even though I've grown up with it meaning 'sweetheart' or something else nice and innocent, it still makes me chuckle half the time :')

- Caity

Tha makes a better door than a window! - Yorkshire for 'Excuse me, you're in my way!'

Brassic - Skint/Low on cash

Gedditet! - Something I say a lot to Nika, meaning 'Get it et!' or get that food eaten haha!

Minging - Gross

Were you born in a barn?! - Used to tell someone to shut the door

Wheesht! - Be quiet!

Steaming - Drunk

Boak! - Used like 'bleugh' when words don't describe how disgusting something is!

Our lass/Our lad/Our big 'un/Our young 'un - Girlfriend, boyfriend, older sibling or member of family (usually male), and little member of the family respectively.

- Caity

omg lol