Panicking - Is This Blood?

mydiamond

I was applying Dime's antiseptic lotion and noticed that he's a little overly unhappy. Then I saw the Q-tip's head:

post-2850-0-81279600-1390308562_thumb.jp

post-2850-0-85469500-1390308569_thumb.jp

post-2850-0-39138100-1390308572_thumb.jp

Took a flashlight , shone it down the ear canal and found a speck of brown discharge. It's not surprising, there's a reason why Dime still needs his ear lotion. BUT if you pay a close attention you'll see that the goo I got on my Q-tip is pinkish?? Is it blood?? Dime is not yelping, but knowing him even if it really hurts he still wouldn't have. I cleaned his other ear and even if he dodges a bit he doesn't fight as much. With this one ear he won't even let me touch it :( the vet only does home visits so won't be able to get his advice until tomorrow night... but I'm panicking now :huskyfall: additional info: he visited the grooming center this morning. I took him there like twenty times already so doubt they did anything wrong but I'll include that info anyways. Please help! 

Love,

A very worried Liv

OK. Inhale, exhale.. Inhale, exhale... I'm sorta glad you guys say you're not sure.... I typed that first post imagining people would reply with "oh gosh YES it is" or such :huskyfall:

Came back downstairs to clean the "speck of brown discharge" I found earlier on outer ear canal with tissue. Being a complete klutz with difficulty to differentiate between left and right, I could no longer tell which ear he doesn't want me to touch. Well, now I have no way of telling because suddenly he decided it's completely okay to touch both of his ears :facepalm: also noticed that the brown discharge is getting lighter in color (which might mean good news??) so I'm crossing my fingers that "pinkish goo" is just a light brown discharge mixed with sleepy eyes without glasses and poor lighting. Anyways I wrapped that Q-tip I photographed with tissue so the vet can have a look, but am already much calmer now... Dime is drinking well, sleeping well and on top of all wafting with shampoo fragrance. Besides the handful of white tufts that made me look over to the vacuum with worry, he looks normal :)

BUT do keep the replies coming! I want to know what you guys think!

To me, it looks like it could be an ear infection.  Nikko had a really bad one, and it came out of nowhere.  It ended up being a brown, reddish discharge and his was really bad.  I would keep an eye on it, he may need a trip to the vet.

I attached a pic of Nikko's ear when he had the ear infection

post-7184-0-21229000-1390318429_thumb.jp

To me, it looks like it could be an ear infection.  Nikko had a really bad one, and it came out of nowhere.  It ended up being a brown, reddish discharge and his was really bad.  I would keep an eye on it, he may need a trip to the vet.

I attached a pic of Nikko's ear when he had the ear infection

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

oh gosh that's terrible :( Diamond's infection never got that bad... 

Dime came to me with ear infection. I've been battling it constantly for these past three years. So I'm not surprised to get a little brown discharge on my Q-tip. But when it's pinkish I got very worried because the discharge has NEVER been pinkish. Looks like it really is not blood though  :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. First of all relax. Srcond thing give us an update please.

Thirdly for genetal info... ear infections do not show out of the blue... there are signs... if you are like me you caress your husky daily several times aday... make it a rutine to play with thier ears as they love it and it would give you a worning if something is off... dont be shy and put your finger inside and get to know the warmth of it and humidity and oilynes. Stick your nose down there and get to know the smell. A healthy ear is pinky, dry to slightly oily and has no particular smell. Also the dog reacts with pleasure. If the dog shows any reaction other than pleasure or the color is reddish or there are secretions of any color or the smell changes or the dog starts to shake it's head or scratch intensely than dont put ANYTHING in and go to see a vet. The ear canal of a dog has two parts vertical and horizontal http://www.hillsvet.com/en/us/practice-management/atlas/hearing-apparatus#NormalHearingApparatus so shining a flashlight down the ear is of little value.

We, husky owners are lucky. The husky's ear is well ventilated and they are practiced in folding there ears to prevent the entry of water BUT sometimes luck isn't enough and an infection does occur... so that is why the god of dogs (Gog?) invented vets ;)

If your dog suffers from a repeating ear inflamation or infection ask your vet about a serumenolytic product such as epiotic or cleanural and apply regularly every two weeks to keep the ear nice and dry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sometimes they do come out of the blue though.

When Nikko got his ear infection, we went to a dog park on Saturday, where I think he got some dirt or something in his ear.  On Sunday he was fine, but by Sunday eveningI noticed him scratching his ear more. When I woke up Monday morning, his ear looked like the picture I posted.  It all happened in less than 24 hours.  We went to the vet that evening and it cleared up pretty quickly...but it took about 24 hours