Do They Ever Stop Pulling?

copwife517

I decided to take Sadie with me when I walked my son to school today since we got so much snow(and it's still snowing). She was so excited I had the hardest time controlling her. She pulled me all the way to the school. However on the way back she just happily trotted back with me! Don't know what that was about, but thank goodness! Is there a way to keep her from pulling so hard?

Also, can someone recommend a good harness? My husband bought her one but she chewed it up at night while we were all sleeping. Thankfully it wasn't a good one. I'm sure not having the harness didn't help our walk this morning.

How to stop them from pulling. ??

Time, Patience and lots of training

Go to you tube and look for "loose leash walking"

there are tons of videos.

There is no quick fix.

You can get training aids such as Halti or canny head collars and Walk your Dog with Love harnesses

They help reduce the pulling but they are no replacement for loose leash training.

It truly depends on what your future plans are for your pup, but if you ever intend to do actual harness work (pulling of any sort) with your dog in the future, I personally don't believe in training them to not pull in a harness. Expecting your dog to pull sometimes but not at others in a harness can be very confusing. If you don't ever intend to do harness work in the future, a walking harness is fine, and there are a number of good no-pull brands. I would recommend looking into one that is specifically no pull. If however, you at some point see yourself wanting the pup to pull a sled, bicycle, skier or what have you, I would teach the dog to walk in a collar and leash.

Id' have to agree...if you don't want her to pull I would not get a harness for her.  The harnesses that I got came from Alpine Outfitters, but my dogs sometimes pull on the bike or sled.  When we are on our walks I just use a training collar.

I would suggest training to heal and loose leash walking, like Andy said.  I took Nikko to PetSmart and went through all of the training classes, and they were very helpful. And I know that they are controversial, but I do use the pinch training collars.  My trainer taught me how to properly use it, and my dogs have never been injured with them.  It helped out tremendously, but you have to know how to use them.