My Puppy Wont Stop Biting...

AzurA

he is 13 weeks old now, is it normal that he is always biting me

never licking or something like that

i can see its a game for him but its very painful, my wife wont touch him anymore, shes afraid to get marks, i dont mind the marks but this behavior is getting old and annoying, i dont know what to do

he has like 7-8 chewing toys around, he plays with them a little but after a while he starts chewing on other stuff, he ruined the end of the door in the bathroom,

i started crating him because of that at night, he also wont stop crying for hours when in the crate

any ideas ? im getting desperate here

Hi there,

This is my third attempt at replying as my two previous attempts, (on my Smart Phone and Tablet), resulted in some very bizarre text!

Anyway, we are in a similar position with our 5 month old 'rescue' Husky puppy, (Skye), as she 'play fights' constantly and she is also starting to chew items other than her toys, (she has already destroyed about £25 worth of toys since we acquired her 5 weeks ago)!

Dogs, (like babies), spend a great deal of their early days exploring the world with their mouth and noses and I suspect that when this basic instinct is coupled with the pleasurable sensation of chewing, (whilst teething), the chewing becomes a bit of a habit that can cause problems when the dog starts chewing objects that they shouldn't be chewing!

When Skye shows any signs of this unwanted behaviour we will simply issue a short sharp command 'Leave' and this is usually sufficient to stop Skye in her tracks and she rarely chews anything other than her toys but we always try and be proactive and curtail undesirable behaviour prior to it actually taking place, (but we do, occasionally, get it wrong)!

My wife has the patience of a saint but Skye is now starting to 'push' the boundaries between herself and her peers, (our other dogs, my wife and myself), so we have to keep reinforcing our 'dominance' by way of firm, (but positive), actions and we always ensure that all of our dogs receive equal amounts of attention and Skye appears to have accepted her position in the rank hierarchy, (she is not at the bottom - but that is a story for another day)!

Skye has, recently, been a little more of a handful, (than she normally is), and I believe that this is a direct result of the appalling weather here in the UK currently as I have not been able to exercise our dogs as much as I usually do as all of my local walking and running routes have been turned into liquid mud paths due to the continued rain that has fallen here in Nottingham for the past month. 

I am a dedicated fell and off road runner and I have not been covering the usual number of training miles since the rain started falling - fortunately I am not running at London this April!!

I have, therefore, modified the exercise regime so that all of our dogs currently receive shorter, (but more frequent), runs whilst the weather remains mild and wet.

Since the temporary modification, (to the exercise routine), Skye has now returned to being a far more contented dog who is happy to lie down and watch the world go by, (compared to her previous 'frenetic' activity), although she will still have her 'mad' moments, (she is only a puppy after all), hence the famous Husky saying 'A tired Husky is a happy Husky'!

These are just my simple thoughts on the behaviour we have witnessed whilst watching our pack during the past few years and I may well be very wrong in some of my assumptions but there are a number of very experienced owners, (on this forum), who will be able to provide you with qualified advice.

Lots of exercise, love, attention and a fair amount of patience and understanding will certainly reap rewards and you will then have one of the best canine companions on the planet!

Take care and persevere!

If he is anything like my Alpha was, he has those baby teeth that are super sharp too.  Wow...I couldn't wait for those to fall out.  Anyways, Martian hit all the important points. Firm response, positive reinforcement, LOTS of patience and exercise. Mine was very mouthy as a pup. A lot of it is him trying to communicate with you, some of it is boredom, some is showing dominance. PLEASE TRY AND BE PATIENT.  Once you two understand each other you will have THE BEST DOG EVER.

It is normal and will continue until he grows out his new teeth. I recommend getting him medium hard toys that he can chew on. And try to play with him as much as you can. When he is tired he will go to sleep. If you let him be, when he gets bored he will look for things to mess with. The crating idea is good though because I did that and my dog behaves fine.

Remember to reward them for the positive and good things early!  

Mine was also very mouthy as a little pup and only recently at 8 months old has stopped (mostly).  Immediately stopping all play and ignoring him, even walking away when he is like that has been the most effective approach for us.  While teething especially, toys (frozen Kong) and redirection may be helpful.  And patience.  Good luck!