Biting Hands!

MaxFromMontenegro

Hello all!

I have problem with my 1 year old male Husky. He likes to bite hands.Somehow he stoped to bite mine, but rest of my family is having problem with it. He doesnt bite hard but it kinda annoying. Also when someone on the street wants to cuddle him, he would jump on his hand and try to put it in his mouth. He want to bite when he sees that hand is aproaching over his head. I have reading trought internet that dogs dont like to aproach with hand over their head, and thats its better to aproach beneath his mouth and cuddle him there. When i do like that he just see that its me and he wont bite...What you think about this?

Welcome to the pack, any training you've done to stop him biting your hands your family need to do aswell, and yes some dogs do not like a hand reaching over their heads so either holding your hand out and letting the dog approach in its own time or stroking underneath on the chin is best

For a husky I don't think the hand going over the head is the main issue. I can sit down put my hand behind my back and if that's what he's determined to do he'll stick his nose between my back and the chair just to grab my hand.

He wants to play or he wants something or he's trying to assert himself. Keep training him...he'll be fine.

I think you mean mouthing as many huskies that I know love to mouth while playing (just like how they play with other dogs). Mine does the same thing when people get overexcited about her and start trying to rough play with her then she'll in turn mouth their hands like crazy. You can teach them that when they mouth sometime tell the other person to ignore the dog . Every time Jelly would mouth me back then I would just stop playing with her and wait until she calmed down and then praise for being calm.

The hand over the head applies mostly to unsure dogs. (Usually dogs that aren't so people friendly right away or the more dominant ones )

Mine is mouthy too and likes to mouth on hands. It is not aggressive, other than it being rough husky play. We work on this a lot with her. I agree with ignoring/stopping play, and also I will sometimes put bitter apple spray on my hand and this will usually stop her.