Sasha Stole A Toy! Dammit!!

Bambi92

Ive bought a bunch of things for an arctic rescue group as a previous post stated, I'm waiting to hear back from them as to when I can take them to them for now there in bags I did have them put up until I needed what they were sitting on and stupidly put them on the floor went to bath my son and I heard rustling of a bag and sure enough I come out and Sasha had all the toys out and she took off with one grrrrrr!!

I wouldn't mind so much if she would actually play with it but all she did was take it , laid on the floor with it between her paws, licked it a few times and pushed it to the side grrrrrrrrrr........

post-9013-0-28321800-1390363237_thumb.jp

Is there a way to encourage her to play?

She will through her soft toys in the air a few time run away from me with it if I try and take it but that's all she does.

If I'm playing with Dozer throwing the ball for him she gets jealous and I try to get her to chase the ball but she won't she gets annoyed and steals the ball off Dozer and tries to hide it so he can't get it.

Sasha has only really destroyed two of her toys that I remember she has a whole big bucket of toys that she will only take out every now and then throw them around for 5 mins and walk away.

What can I do?

Jake's kind of the same way. He's got a lot of toys...and rarely shows interest in them. He does gnaw on his antler bone if he's getting hungry and I won't feed him 2 hours early. Sometimes he'll also pick up a stick outside and prance around with it for a few sec.

What seems to work fairly well for me: have a few toys that are never readily available to him. They are MY toys, that I let him play with only with me. He's always interested in the stuff that's not his lol. When I want to play with him I'll get one of them out and usually dragging it along the ground (kind of imitating a critter or something running around) will get him to pounce on it and tug with me a bit. I don't do this for long though, 1-2min intervals. I never wait until he's bored to stop; he's always left wanting to play more.

I've started doing this a while with my obedience training, so usually it goes something like get toy, play for 30sec or so then stop, hide the toy behind my back, have him do a few commands (down, stand, etc), then bring the toy back and play again. Repeat a few times then stop. Again, I never let him get bored with it, so he actually wants more and is excited when I get the toy back out later. The best part about this is that squeaky toys actually last longer than 5min lol.

Was Sasha a rescue? When we think of dogs in general it seems like they would inherently know how to play with people, when in reality it's something most learn as puppies. Jake knows how to play with other dogs very well, but when it comes to people he used to be clueless. He isn't good at playing with dogs with toys either; he just doesn't know what to do. The few times his border collie friend has gotten him to take the toy to play tug he just kind of stands there confused lol..  :rolleyes:

A few short tips you can try:

-Tie a small thin rope or a flexi leash to the toy so you can drag/move it around a lot. Things that imitate prey are pretty good at catching their attention.

-Find a toy that will hold some treats in it while playing, like a ball attached to a rope. So they'll get rewarded sometimes for biting the ball.

-Like I said above, squeaky toys last a little longer when they don't have 24/7 access to it. If squeaky toys get her excited, try to keep them out of her reach until you want to play with her and it'll make them that much more desirable.

-If you want to encourage it, find out how to get her going without toys. I'll take Jake outside and just annoy him sometimes which gets him into playing with me in a different way; wrestling/gentle mouthing, zoomies, chasing each other, etc. He's always been mouthy so I let him as long as he keeps it gentle.

Jake's kind of the same way. He's got a lot of toys...and rarely shows interest in them. He does gnaw on his antler bone if he's getting hungry and I won't feed him 2 hours early. Sometimes he'll also pick up a stick outside and prance around with it for a few sec.

What seems to work fairly well for me: have a few toys that are never readily available to him. They are MY toys, that I let him play with only with me. He's always interested in the stuff that's not his lol. When I want to play with him I'll get one of them out and usually dragging it along the ground (kind of imitating a critter or something running around) will get him to pounce on it and tug with me a bit. I don't do this for long though, 1-2min intervals. I never wait until he's bored to stop; he's always left wanting to play more.

I've started doing this a while with my obedience training, so usually it goes something like get toy, play for 30sec or so then stop, hide the toy behind my back, have him do a few commands (down, stand, etc), then bring the toy back and play again. Repeat a few times then stop. Again, I never let him get bored with it, so he actually wants more and is excited when I get the toy back out later. The best part about this is that squeaky toys actually last longer than 5min lol.

Was Sasha a rescue? When we think of dogs in general it seems like they would inherently know how to play with people, when in reality it's something most learn as puppies. Jake knows how to play with other dogs very well, but when it comes to people he used to be clueless. He isn't good at playing with dogs with toys either; he just doesn't know what to do. The few times his border collie friend has gotten him to take the toy to play tug he just kind of stands there confused lol.. :rolleyes:

A few short tips you can try:

-Tie a small thin rope or a flexi leash to the toy so you can drag/move it around a lot. Things that imitate prey are pretty good at catching their attention.

-Find a toy that will hold some treats in it while playing, like a ball attached to a rope. So they'll get rewarded sometimes for biting the ball.

-Like I said above, squeaky toys last a little longer when they don't have 24/7 access to it. If squeaky toys get her excited, try to keep them out of her reach until you want to play with her and it'll make them that much more desirable.

-If you want to encourage it, find out how to get her going without toys. I'll take Jake outside and just annoy him sometimes which gets him into playing with me in a different way; wrestling/gentle mouthing, zoomies, chasing each other, etc. He's always been mouthy so I let him as long as he keeps it gentle.

Thanks for that. Sasha is a rescue from abuse which I'm thinking has something to do with her not being interested she does like squeaky toys but only if there not hers and she hasn't seen them before..

She's doesn't like rope of any kind near her I don't know if that would be different with a toy on the end though.

She loves my sons piglet it has a squeaker near its tail and every time he squeaks it she gets all excited and sits in front of him waiting for him to throw it but he doesn't understand yet and she can't have his toys lol

I'll try some of the things you suggested when the weather gets better she's a princess and doesn't like getting wet most of the time unless its in her water bowl strange huskies lol

Sent from my GT-I8530 using Tapatalk 2

:rofl: Funny for sure. Maybe get the toy and partially hide it. Ronin seems to love stealing more than playing, he gets so happy with himself when he pinches something and gets chased around the house.

She always steals the ones she's least likely to play with but Dozer would love maybe there plotting against me lol I'll give that a try if we hide under a blanket she will pull the blanket off us and woo and get all excited its funny to watch didnt think to try it with her toys lol