Yukon's Progress

Jay

Hugs from all of us in London, if we count the puppies, that's 12 furry hugs, and four human ones !

Let's hope the seizures slow down and in time, when someone asks, you'll have to think to remember when the last one was. It's never easy dealing with a sick furbaby, take comfort knowing that once it's over, it's over, and he feels no long time effects.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw this update... 

I am sorry to hear that Yukon had another seizure, I suppose that it has been a long time since the last that I guess is a blessing?  I heard a vet over here talking about a number of newer meds available apart from phenobarbital these days, but pheno is still the most widely used. 

There is a lot of pressure on the government here to legalise cannabidiol for medical use currently and vets believe it will be a natural progression towards treating seizures and some other conditions in dogs in the future. 

I am sorry I don't have specific details or names of the alternative meds to pheno, but if I hear I will let you know. One of Ronin's best mates is a Goldie who is now on Pheno for seizures and I chat with the owner quite a bit, so I will keep my ear out for any info that might be useful.

• 2 months later...

Yukon had another seizure this morning :(. This makes the third one since October. I'm taking him to the vet today to get some tests done and talk to the vet about what our options are. I don't think he should be having a seizure every month if he's on the pheno.

Thanks guys.  He was seizure free from last November until July, but then On October 4th he had another one, followed by one 3 weeks ago, and the one this morning.  His pheno levels were a little low when he was tested in July, but I am going to have his full blood panel done and talk to the vet about either upping his meds or trying something different.  I don't think he should be having seizures every 3-4 weeks on the medication. 

Luckily everyone at work are real big dog lovers so they all understand so I am leaving in a few to take Yukon to the vet.  I'll update everyone what I find out.

We got back from the vet, and this is what he had to say:

Back in July Yukon had the pheno level test, which was a little low.  My previous vet was't concerned, and unless he was having seizures 1-2 times every week she wasn't going to change his dosage.  This vet did not agree, and said that the test was done during the peak time (6 hours after taking the pill), and that the levels were not in the therapeutic range.  The last 3 seizures were all around 7-8am, and he takes his pill at 6:30am and 6:30pm.  Since it usually takes 2-3 hours for the pills to start bringing the levels up, it's likely that his pheno level dipped really low during those time. Also, their bodies will process the pheno quicker over time, which is why they have to monitor it yearly.  

So, we got a prescription for a higher dosage and I am to start him on that immediately.  Then, in about a month we go back to have another pheno test done and a full CHEM10 and CBC test, which measures the level of pheno and tests his liver (don't quote me on that)

So, we will manage it and take it day by day.  It's becoming very expensive though :(  The tests next month are probably going to run $200-300.  Today's exam alone was $56!  But it's all to help my baby, so it's worth every penny!

• 4 weeks later...

He had another seizure today :(  I wasn't home, so I don't know how long it lasted or anything.  He goes in Friday morning to have tests ran to check the medication levels, and then again in the afternoon.  The vet started him on a higher dose on the 4th and he said it may take a couple weeks where he could have seizures, but this is just outside that time frame.  Hopefully it gets under control soon, poor guy