Skin Problem

kate07

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you can help. Shadow our male husky has a skin problem. We took him to the vets on Christmas Eve and they gave us some steroid cream which work. He also has ear problems too. We took him back to the vets after the new year because his ears were still bad and the vet checked his back again. She was happy it had cleared up.

The other day we noticed him trying to scratch it again when we checked him again it was back.

We have booked him in at the vets again on Thursday but I just wondered if any of you have had these problems before.

The skin is very red and inflamed. His fur can be pulled out where the inflammation is and also there is what looks like dandruff where the inflammation is.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kate

The picture was taken the morning. The vet shaved him when we went the black part in the middle is the area at first and now it's just grown bigger.

The vet said it was a dog form of dermatitis and that if it came back they would have to do tests.

I have read a little bit about the zinc deficiency but it doesn't mention about it affecting the back.

To be honest I just want him fixed. I don't like him being poorly.

post-7260-0-70973200-1390652414.jpg

Poor baby, it's quite a large area affected, isn't it.

Have you changed his food recently? Used anything new at all? Up to date on flea meds? Trying to rule out the obvious triggers here but in all honesty, if you can't identify a likely suspect I'd be inclined to go for the tests to see if they show up what's causing this to reappear so dramatically. It's always a worry to see your dog unwell, I hope they can get to the bottom of it soon. xxx

Thanks Emma.

We have got a different food for him but when it came back we stopped giving it to him but no improvement. He's up to date with all his meds, fleas, boosters, kennel cough etc.

I think tests are the best option cos at least we will know then.

He's happy enough in himself and still gets very giddy when the treats come out or the leads for walkies!

He's in the vets on Thursday so I'll just keep it clean and dry until then.

Thanks again xxx

• 2 weeks later...

It seams like it is at the loin area? Usually ear problems coupled with skin problem indicate an alergic reaction to something... at the loin area near the bade of th tail is the favorite spot for fleas to nibble on you husky. Also exist a flea bite alergy that could explain the two fenomens showing up together.

Good luck and keep us I the loop

By the way... the location of the lesion on the body is very important for diagnosis so please upload s general photo as well. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Oh, gosh that looks so uncomfortable. I hope you get to the root cause.

I have a recommendation for topical treatment that many in Australia are going nuts over for their dogs skin conditions. But this is not to replace vet consultation.

Calendula Tea! THis stuff is amazing as a rinse, brew 1 tablespoon of pure (preferable organic) calendula tea with per 500ml of boiling water. Allow to steep for half an hour and then cool. You can use a spray bottle to apply to affected areas or all over. No after rinsing, the tea has wonderful healing properties and smells good as it freshens the coat and doesn't strip oils. You can also add some of the leaves you used in the brew to the food as it really helps immunity. You can use this as much as you like.

I am not a hippy or gushy organic type bloke but it is really worth a try. You can buy this at most health food shops. 

Again, I would stress that you need to find the core issue, this stuff has worked when steroids have failed, so if you are not getting any results with the treatment then give it a try.