Any Tips Please - Extendable Lead

Gemski

Kodi is 2 years old and he is always walked using a Julius K9 harness and an extendable lead. We use the extendable because it gives him chance to have a bit of a run about, as a lot of our walking places are fields/tracks. Problem is, Kodi seems to forget that he is actually still attached and he will run full pelt, which jolts me and him. He's pulled me over once, going downhill at the beach and I'm currently waiting for physio on my shoulder and taking a variety of painkillers for muscle and nerve damage :/

I can cope fine with him on a short lead, he pulls towards other dogs because he just wants to play, but he is quite responsive to my commands and will walk to heal. I do have a steel shock absorber between the harness and lead, but I'm not actually sure it makes any difference! I have tried calling to him as he takes off etc, but the ears are down and off he goes, I just have to brace myself!

Other than no longer using the extendable lead are there any suggestions please? I am looking into a walking belt, as I've just started running with him too and the belt would make it much more manageable with him, but I don't want him to pull me over!

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

We use the same setup, K9 harness and the heaviest duty of extendable leads. Although he's still young I've started teaching him mushing commands as I intend to start bikejoring with him once he's old enough. He does the same charging off without remembering about the lead on occasion. I find using the mush command works best as he's already in a running mode. So installing commands whilst running might be worth a try. Also, the belts are fantastic. I can recommend Hooner - their web site isn't great but wonderful customer service. All custom and hand made.

Train him what the word slow means take him out and give him some length if he speeds up abit lock the Lead n tell him slow wait till he's walking nicely then give him some more lead, my girl can run full pelt on her flexi lead but when I say slow she slows down

YES to this...I go out on a bike..it took a few months but Alpha knows what "slow down" means.

We use the same setup, K9 harness and the heaviest duty of extendable leads. Although he's still young I've started teaching him mushing commands as I intend to start bikejoring with him once he's old enough. He does the same charging off without remembering about the lead on occasion. I find using the mush command works best as he's already in a running mode. So installing commands whilst running might be worth a try. Also, the belts are fantastic. I can recommend Hooner - their web site isn't great but wonderful customer service. All custom and hand made.

Thanks, I'll have a look at Hooner. The only thing I'm thinking of with the belt is gaining control of him if dogs are oncoming etc, do you use the extendable with your belt or a line? Obviously the extendable is easier to gain control with a quick reel in, I don't want to end up with friction burns with a line, because he can get a bit over excited and is pretty strong!