In The Middle Of Crate Training, What To Do Next?

AzurA

so, i have the crate, i have the dog, when i put both of them together all is well but when apart, not so much...

at night hes in the crate, behaving a little better now, crying a lot less, hes getting used to the idea

so far he generally holds his bladder when in the crate

when i come home he know il take him right out and he pees a lot , i praise him and give him a snack

the problems are with his poop - so far i cant get him to poop outside, no matter how long im taking him out, he just waits till we get home, what to do ?

the other problem is he sometime pees in the house, i dont know if he even tries to hold it cause he is not in the crate while im home, is there a way i could get him to "tell" me when he needs to pee ?

i ordered that belt with the bells on it to hang on the door on Ebay, but it will take a while till it gets here

btw , he is 3 and half months old now.

gotten big :)

52e91d9844107.jpg

He is such a cutie!!

Consistency is the key.  At that age they will need to go pretty frequently.  I would start on a schedule and take him outside:

Immediately after waking up

15-30 minutes after eating or drinking

After playing

Immediately when out of the crate

Every 30-45 minutes otherwise

Maybe once during the night

When you do take him outside I always say the same phrase.  You can use what you want, but I always said "potty outside"  I repeat this until he goes outside, and then give him lots of praise.  Make a big deal of it too.  You can give treats, but I never did. 

If he does have an accident, take him immediately outside and use the phrase.  Then clean it up with a special cleaner that will kill the odors so he does not use that spot all the time.  If you catch him in the act a loud NO and immediately outside, but if you catch it after he does it, don't acknowledge it (he will likely not know what you are reacting to). 

Before you go to bed, or before crate time make sure he doesn't have a large amount of water, and make sure he goes before going in the crate. 

It is a process and will be a long one.  Nikko wasn't fully potty trained until about 6 months old, but Yukon was when he was 3 months old, so every dog isn't the same.  Just patience and consistency :)

so youre saying if i praise him a lot when he goes outside he will then hold it even when he is not in the crate ? from his point of view, just to get praises ?

i mean im trying to understand how his mind works, for example when in the crate he is holding it cause its where he sleeps and who wants to sleep on pee...

When you praise him a lot when he potties outside, it will teach him where the appropriate place to potty is.  They usually don't like to sleep where they pee/poo.  If he is making a mess in his crate it may be too big for him.  Most crates come with a divider that you can make smaller, or bigger as they grow.  He just needs enough room to turn around and nothing more until he is fully potty trained.

Dogs are creatures of habit. Once they learn where they are supposed to pee (outside) they will generally start associating pee or poop as something they do outside, particularly if you try to lead them to one area of the yard or a specific place on your walking route. You can help them develop that habit by providing praise and treats. You do have to have a lot of patience and a lot of consistency. It probably seems impossible right now to see it getting better, but amazingly, as long as you keep at it, it will! 

It also took me a long time to understand that dogs do not feel the same thing as humans when it comes to "holding it". 

Yeah, that never worked either, when they start to poop I don't think they will just stop doing it...you just have to keep yelling NO and immediately take him outside, even if he doesn't have to potty anymore. 

Yeah, that never worked either, when they start to poop I don't think they will just stop doing it...you just have to keep yelling NO and immediately take him outside, even if he doesn't have to potty anymore. 

i c, ok il keep doing it, cant wait to get past this frustrating stage...