Hello From London, Uk!

Arkady

Hi, I'm Arkady, and I live in London with my partner, our daughter (6) and 2 cats - and now Alba, a 14-month-old Husky girl! She originally belonged to one of my elder 2 daughters from my 1st marriage, but K was told by her landlord she wasn't allowed a dog and either the dog left or he'd evict her. Alba came to stay with us temporarily whilst we tried to find a new home for her - until we discovered that Alba can tell when I'm about to have an epileptic seizure and alert me. At which point there was no question but that Alba would be staying permanently with us!

K had done very little to train Alba, but in the 2 weeks we've had her I've initiated training and she's responding very well - possibly because she's getting lots of attention from me! There's no question but that she considers me "her" human; she'll obey my partner, but she obeys me much faster. We go for at least two good long walks every day - 1.5-2 hours in the morning, and 1-1.5 hours in the evening.

12255643336_5f550c1ec2_o.jpg12188377855_89d0a364e1_o.jpg

I've lived with and helped train several different breeds of dog in the past, ranging from Westies up to GSDs and Northern Inuits, but Alba is my first Husky.

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Where abouts in London are you from? I'm in Orpington (part of Bromley) situated on the south east London/west Kent borders. :)

I'm in Walthamstow, near the south edge of Epping Forest. :)

Welcome to husky owners. What a clever girl Alba is, question (im totally fascinated) how does she warn you that a seizure is coming? You dont have to answer if it too personal i work with profoundly disabled who are also epileptic so curious. She's a pretty girl.

Welcome to husky owners. What a clever girl Alba is, question (im totally fascinated) how does she warn you that a seizure is coming? You dont have to answer if it too personal i work with profoundly disabled who are also epileptic so curious. She's a pretty girl.

If we're out on a walk, she stands in front of me and nudges me with her head to stop then tugs me over to somewhere I can sit down. If we're at home, she sits beside me and puts one paw on my knee and the other on my arm and whines to get my attention (which she only does when I'm about to have a seizure; she's pretty non-vocal most of the time) until I acknowledge her, and then sits quietly beside me until the seizure is over. Most of my seizures are simple focal seizures that mean my vision is obscured for about half an hour, but sometimes I have drop attacks where I just go down suddenly, usually waking up just as I hit the ground. She's not been trained for it - she just seemed to pick up on it herself.

• 2 weeks later...