New With Nero

kittypage

Hi all, so glad to have found you!

Without researching the breed, we adopted Nero from the humane society a bit over a month ago. He is estimated to be just under 2 yrs old, and neutered. Weve made good progress with him being more responsive to us, and have started leadership classes. I take him out walking between 2 & 4 times a day, but have yet to get a bike set up for him to go with so he can run ( need mechanical help). Exercise for him is my main concern right now. I was sick for a couple days so he didnt get his usual walks (husband and kids dont spend as much time) & yesterday morning I found him tangled in a tree by his tie out cable. I mean UP in the tree. It took 3 of us to get him down & I had to cut his harness to create enough slack in the cable. We're not using the tie out until its better positioned.

My second concern is whether he can learn to live peacefully with chickens horses & goats. In the house he does well with two teen kittens, so I have hope.

Any ideas you folks have for exercise & animal socializing would be so appreciated, Nero is a good soul and I hope ours will be a happy home for him!

Welcome to husky owners! :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of Nero :)

Personaly I wouldn't trust a Husky around chickens, they are ideal prey.

I do however take Mishka to the stables with me but she is always on the lead (Attached to walking belt) and she is good with them. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

That only makes sense about the birds, and we would have more eggs to enjoy if I put the chickens back in their pen. Husband would also be pleased... Glad to hear Mishka is so good with the horses, enjoying the animals together brings so much real communication.

I found a better bike to try & am excited to be closer to improving Nero's exercise program..planning to use a leash device to keep him from getting in front.

Id like to know if there are things like long bungee or retractable leashes (sturdy enough) where the dog can get some distance? We're currently using a horse rope..15' or so when I take him out to jump around in the tumbleweeds. The predator in him really comes out and im glad he has that place to be that. I like to think its an outlet that keeps him from hunting our cats...please correct me if im wrong!

You can usually get long leashes, I have a 20' one for Champ that I use when we roam my mom's 7 acres or when we're at the park and there aren't other dogs around.  I'm not a fan of retractable leashes, but I know others use them, I find them untrustworthy and dangerous but that's just my opinion, use what works for you :)  Welcome to the pack by the way.

Hello!

Same as what's been said already, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Anything that moves and is smaller than a husky is fair game, may not want to kill and eat it but just the way they play can cause enough damage. Mine caught a mouse last week, not sure he wanted to eat it but lets just say the mouse wasn't looking very healthy once he'd finally dropped it.

Hello!

Same as what's been said already, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Anything that moves and is smaller than a husky is fair game, may not want to kill and eat it but just the way they play can cause enough damage. Mine caught a mouse last week, not sure he wanted to eat it but lets just say the mouse wasn't looking very healthy once he'd finally dropped it.

A bit off topic, but my Ares has killed like three mice so far. He's more efficient than a cat :lmao:

Hi everyone

Thank you for your warm welcome and thoughtful responses. Im feeling like quite the fool for bringing such a dog to a farm setting. A little more than an hour ago Nero got away from me (in the dark) found our goat and attacked him. Goat is standing but his leg is injured. Husband wants Nero to go & I am so torn....

Thanks Mike

I appreciate your note. Its so hard knowing what to do.... ive never had an animal thats required so much lifestyle revision. Im not 20 years old, more like 50..not into rollerblading, and not getting a whole lotta support with Nero from other family members. Its winter & these guys arent into going outside.

Nero is a good dog & we've made great progress in our leadership learning..im so pleased with that. Ive put everything I had into this for the last month, not to mention a good little sum. Was going to get a new bike today but it snowed last night & the roads are slick. I just dont know what to do at this point.

Is there anyone here who has successfully kept a husky happy in a farm environment?

Wouldn't trust mine around chickens however they have been around horses but all they do is wind the horses up tbh.... so always best to keep them away or on a lead or seperated by fences etc tbh as a horse can really hurt a dog

And also welcome to the forum :D

Thank you :)

Im not giving up quite yet...did talk to my dog school a bit which helped my soul. You guys being here is a big help..obviously you have been thru your varied experiences and stretched old limits!

Nero hasnt done anything wrong..he is what he is.. and he needs out. Ill ttyl :)

Greetings all

Its been a good day with Nero..on our first walk I was wanting to proceed with my bike plans. Took him everywhere with me, usually do when I can, hes a very good guest/visitor. Bought some beef bones at the store :) Im thinking of not making any decisions til our initial classes are over,3 weeks away, & meanwhile take it a day at a time. My brain needs some kind of plan I guess.

Our goat Elvis doesnt look too bad, caught him lying down in a new place, one puncture in his back, so glad he is ok!

Have a good night people~

Greetings and Welcome to the forum. Congrates on getting your first husky!

I've both of mine out in the country, and as you've probably gathered, somethings work well and others not so much. Horses, cows and other larger animals are typically not much of an issue, although they may try and play with them. Mine generally prefer to avoid the horses, but I've had them playing chase with calves, because the calves will run, whereas the adults tend to stand their ground. I would guess that this is likely what happened with the goat.

I've also got cats, now down to 3 from 5, because we have a lot of predators (including some neighbors), and my pair I completely trust around my cats. In fact my big tom will even play with them sometimes, and I've a female that will go into the crates with the dogs, when the crates are open. 

Chickens are a whole nother story. I've never talked to anyone who trusted their Sib around chickens. As someone said they are just the perfect prey species ~ they always run, and they are fairly easy to catch. Also they die easily. So the chickens you will need to pen. 

The main thing is exposure; when you expose the dog to the cats and he acts like he wants to chase or play - firmly let him know that that is not ok. Since you are working with an older dog, this is going to take more time, but it can be done. Both of mine where six months when I got them and neither had been around cats. Part of this is also getting your cats used to the dog ~ if you've got one that will arch up and hiss or even bat at the dog rather than running, so much the better.

Time and patience - don't give up. Siberians are smart and they can learn what is off limits and what isn't.

Thank you Andy and Randy :o)

Things are going pretty well these days, so glad.... Randy, thanks for sharing your farm experience,  you said a lot with some things working, some not.... both animals Nero has assaulted are miraculously okay.  Like you say, its just a matter of keeping proper boundaries with everybody.   

Nero does really well with our teen cats, not as sweet on the older one, but none of them show any fear. Glad to hear your dogs are so solid around yours!

Husband's attitude has relaxed a lot, Nero made us look good at class the other night, that was so great.  They taught the 'curb' command (invisible boundary) if Nero knew it before us, Idk, but he did it beautifully, repeatedly.  We were and still are amazed.  We have an older boston terrier, George, who is of the feeble minded variety, & the curb command keeps Nero from bugging George's food zone.  

We also have a puppy, & when we're correcting him, I swear Nero knows what we're wanting & tries to school him....He and the pup are the best companions for each other.  Puppy is unknown breed, tri colored, looks shepherdy with wrinkly forehead, and has an undercoat.  His sign at the shelter said akita mix.... the good thing is matching energy levels... 

Looking forward to more husky fun, we have a lot of snow these days

thanks you guys!