Mini Heart-Attack Moment

winterchillz

Just an ordinary morning walk down at the park - sniffing around, getting the zoomies, running on the grass and chasing birds, nothing unusual. It was just after the last group of birds that Ares chased when I decided it's time to go home because it was time for me to go to work plus I my hands and ears hurt because of the cold. I had the flexi lead in full extension allowing Ares to get all the way to its limit.

We just got off the grass and headed towards the exit of the park and I told Ares that we're going home. He has the habit of walking around and sniffing a lot so you quite often have to change hands with the lead so you don't get entangled in all that. He was just passing behind me when I tried to pass the lead from my left hand to my right and I was turning around to see where is he going when I noticed that he's almost at the full extension of the lead going down the grass field at full speed.

Needless to say, the flexi lead hit its maximum right when I was passing it to my left hand and this combined with the my cold hands and Ares pulling down resulted in dropping the lead. The plastic end hit the ground and the lead started wrapping in after Ares. When he heard the noise of something falling behind him (and eventually even chasing him) he rushed off at full speed. I could just sit there and watch him accelerate away from me - 10 meters, 20 meters, 50 meters, 100 meters.

At first I decided not to panic and just shouted his name a few times. Seeing that this has absolutely no result I started screaming his name, yet again in vain. He made a turn around the empty pond that's at the park, at probably 150 meters away from me by now, still running when he decided that he'd like to run back. I waited for him and tried to grab the lead when he passed by me, but I didn't manage to. I figured out that chasing him would be stupid because 1) it'd make him run away from me and 2) I'm far slower at running than he is.

I thought it might be a good idea to initiate play so I squat down a little bit, spread out my arms and started calling him in encouraging manner. When he saw me sitting in the middle of the field like that, he instantly changed his direction towards me and jumped right on top of me trying to nom on my hands. I finally managed to get his lead and we slowly took off to home.

What a way to wake up :eek: 

Always good to read about a happy ending!

I also utilise an extendable lead with our two but I always wrap the fabric, (Police dog handler type), lead through the extendable lead handle as well as through my belt webbing - just as a double precaution!

No matter what steps you take there is still a risk that your safeguards will fail, however, as nothing is infallible!

Your missive raises two useful points namely that adopting a 'play' stance could be a very useful strategy to adopt, (under such circumstances), and that of the additional risk of the extendable lead exacerbating the problem when it automatically retracts giving your pride and joy the worrying sensation that they are being chased by something rather hard and unforgiving!

Glad he came back! Sasha has only gotten away twice and both times I had several heart attacks! One mainly because she decided running in the middle of the road towards a blind bend with cars and trucks doing 80-100km\h was a good idea I did the same thing I figured if they didn't see her they'd see me and slow down luckily only two cars come one didn't slow down at all luckily Sasha moved in time she would of felt the car touch her tail it was that close and other stopped to try and help catch her!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

^^^^ this. The presence of other dogs can definitely help as well. I've helped quite a number of people capture their escaped dogs just by standing there with Diamond. As long as they told me the loose dog isn't aggressive, I'd happily stand there and wait as long as it takes until the owner reach us and clip the leash back on. A red nose Pitbull behind a gate did the same when Diamond escaped to this busy road (heart-stopping moment :( )