Reputation Explained

Marc

Its seems that I keep being asked various different questions regarding how the reputation system on the site works, so I thought I would do a post as an explaination of this.

What is reputation?

You reputation on the forum is shown by way of a number which is converted into little green pips on the site that look like so: reputation_pos.gif

How do you give/take away reputation?

These numbers are increased and decreased by other members and staff on the site by clicking on the reputation button reputation.gif which can be found in the users postbit to the left of any post.

Once this button is clicked you will recieve a popup box simply asking if you would like to say "I approve" or "I disaprove" of the post you have clicked it on. There is also a comment box should you wish to add a comment. Any reputation given or taken can be seen by the user in there control panel.

Is that all?

Well not exactly. You see you also have a reputation power level. This is the amount of reputation you have the ability to give and take away. You will notice that the admin and supermod have a rep power of 10, therefore we have strong reputation effects on other members, whereas at present most of our members rep power is currently 1.

Is rep power always the same?

Nope, this can change over time. You reputation power will increase with your lenth of time on the forums, number of posts, reputation value. Currently these are set as the following increases:-

• +1 power for 6 month of registration

• +1 power for every 500 posts on the forum

• +1 power for every 100 Reputation points received

• Minimum post count of 10 to have any reputation effect.

So as you can see, the people who have been here a while are the people who will truly start to show peoples reputation on the forum, and this is the reason we have it.

One more thing to note is that you can only give out/take 10 lots of reputation per day and you will find that you cannot repetativly give the same person repuation or the system will tell you that you need to 'spread the rep' around a little first.

I hope this is of some use to someone and enjoy using the reputation system on the forum.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...