Some People...ugh

michelle12

Often when I walk my Husky I get comments about how beautiful he is etc.  In general, people love huskies!  Yesterday I came across someone who commented that he looked menacing and evil.  She told me huskies are part wolf and was clearly nervous around my friendly pup.  I explained they are no more related to a wolf than a Beagle but clearly her mind was made up so we went along our way and I didn't waste my time with her. 

Has anyone else run across people ignorant about this beautiful breed?

Yep, the neighborhood kids have dubbed Champ 'El Lobo' and their parents tend to pull them away from the sidewalk when we walk by even though he loves kids and is very friendly.  On campus however he gets a much different reception, everyone wants to meet him and loves on him, people who are afraid of large dogs keep their distance but I've never had someone say that he was dangerous looking.

Ha El Lobo.  Unfortunately my dog's name is Lobo.  I didn't name him, he came with it and knew it so I didn't think we should change it, although I wanted to.  I didn't tell the ignorant woman his name because that certainly wouldn't have helped.

I want to call him Dyson, because he is like an expensive vacuum cleaning up the floor and also because of him I need one :)

All the time lol

I've had kids running away screaming its a werewolf!

I've been asked if both are Samoyeds (skyla I can kind of understand)

Akita

German Shepard

skyla has even been called a white German Shepard x Labrador :blink: a snow leopard and a malamute (another I can understand apart from her blue eyes)

And I've heard someone say outright that 'the white one is NOT a husky

"Is she a Husky?"

"She has got different eyes!"

the mandatory .."awww  isn't HE cute"

and of course there are those that think she is the devils own spawn.. in fact  there is one  woman ~I see when I'm out  with Skye..I would swear she crosses herself and makes of in the opposite direction at full speed............  It takes ALL sorts I suppose :rolleyes:

We probably have about a 50/50 ratio of people loving and hating them.  We've had people cross the road to avoid us (happens at least once every night), some of our neighbours are scared of them, and once a woman walking her dog spotted us coming, turned around and RAN back the way she'd came.  Tbh I think she was a bit crazy anyway but still!  Slight overreaction!  On the other end of the scale, we get a group of kids in one street who WE cross the street to avoid, all you can hear is them chanting "husky! husky! husky!" excitedly and running after us up the street, which would be quite cute if not for the fact they're absolutely terrifying my poor Icy Boy!   

What these uneducated people fail to understand is that a husky is more likely to lick you to death than maul you....They have more chance of being mauled by a little jack russell (nervous quivering small dogs) but they dont mind going up and petting them do they, even though they could be going to stroke a nervous wreck. People should really research huskies to learn that they are almost never violent and if they are it because they have been mistreated to the point where they see a human as a threat. Just because Huskies have been named 'a dangerous dog' doesnt mean its true, the same goes for any other breed that has been named 'a dangerous dog' I have grown up around all kinds of breeds of dogs, Staffies are the sweetest dogs ever, its not the dog that kills, its the person who teaches the dog how to live.....almost always the first dog to ever snap at a person would be a nervous dog, not a violent dog!!! 

the only problem i get is people with them little ratty dogs, and when thay see me with my malamute they will pick up there ratty thing and take a wide berth while there ratty thing is going absolutely insane :arghh:  lol

the only problem i get is people with them little ratty dogs, and when thay see me with my malamute they will pick up there ratty thing and take a wide berth while there ratty thing is going absolutely insane :arghh:  lol

I have had the exact same experience when walking my huskies, they are perfectly fine and would only like to go say hi, but the other person with the little yappy dog making all the noise takes a wide berth to avoid us......

In my area when my parents jog with Jelly it's usually the asian people who speak badly about Jelly lol.

They'll speak in viet or chinese (and since my parents are trilingual... they relay the story onto me)

I've heard "Why the heck do those people own a fox?" (No idea how she looks like a fox.. maybe bc she's red)

"Stupid people owning a wolf it's going to eat them"

Then my dad was running with Jelly and (she doesn't chase bikes or people) but this lady thought Jelly was chasing her and she ran her bike into the ditch. LOL.

I also get people yelling at their kids when they try to touch Jelly at the dog park.

Just have to live with ignorant people :< .

In my area when my parents jog with Jelly it's usually the asian people who speak badly about Jelly lol.

They'll speak in viet or chinese (and since my parents are trilingual... they relay the story onto me)

I've heard "Why the heck do those people own a fox?" (No idea how she looks like a fox.. maybe bc she's red)

"Stupid people owning a wolf it's going to eat them"

Then my dad was running with Jelly and (she doesn't chase bikes or people) but this lady thought Jelly was chasing her and she ran her bike into the ditch. LOL.

I also get people yelling at their kids when they try to touch Jelly at the dog park.

Just have to live with ignorant people :< .

I have had "mum is that a fox?" from little kids, which i think is really cute. Snow does look like a little fox because she has a really fluffy tail. But what i find amazing is adults are more scared of dogs than little kids, you will find that a lot of little kids want to come up to you to pet your "wolf" but then you get parents saying "no you cant pet it, it might bite" Yeah a way to make your kids petrified of dogs!!!

Yeah. I wouldn't mind the fox comment as it is pretty cute.

Kids are more curious than adults and it's hilarious when the adult bolts towards the kid to get the kid away from her.

It's worse when she wears a gentle leader (head collar) and people freak out at petsmart or something and ask

"why would you bring a muzzled dog to a pet store if it's aggressive?"

...and then I just face palm.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind the fox comment as it is pretty cute.

Kids are more curious than adults and it's hilarious when the adult bolts towards the kid to get the kid away from her.

It's worse when she wears a gentle leader (head collar) and people freak out at petsmart or something and ask

"why would you bring a muzzled dog to a pet store if it's aggressive?"

...and then I just face palm.

Moo and Thor have a gentle leader, apparently they are aggressive dogs if wearing one.....B.S.....