Hello From America!

Scoutious

Hey guys!

My name is Nick, and I recently adopted a husky from a local shelter. His name is Scout, the previous owners had given him up because he is quite an escape artist. I have had him for almost six months now, hes about two and a half according to the shelter. It's been a crazy roller coaster, but I wouldn't trade him for anything. He is the smartest dog I have ever been around and he also acts as a lap dog! He learns quickly and is obedient 80% of the time. Like I said before hes an escape artist, he jumps over fences, bolts out the door and has no intention of turning around. I would love to rid him of this but I do understand that this is somewhat in their nature.

P.S. I don't know why the pictures are being uploaded sideways...

post-11438-0-23881200-1391788437_thumb.j

post-11438-0-89455500-1391788623_thumb.j

post-11438-0-72108700-1391788668_thumb.j

Thank you, he has quite a history. When I asked the shelter for more information about him and his past owners, the worker who acquired scout sent me an email that did exactly that. In fact, scout has been through three households in his lifetime. I will post the email where it would be appropriate. I'll make sure to post the link here too. Here are some more pictures...

post-11438-0-74395900-1391789500_thumb.j

post-11438-0-01052500-1391789858_thumb.j

post-11438-0-70974700-1391789939_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, pretty dog. Sounds like he has had it a bit rough. With patience and training, they can be taught not to do things like bolt for the door every time it opens. Making sure they get plenty of exercise will help with that as well. Regardless however, they are always likely to disappear if the opportunity arises.  

This is the email referring to his past. At first I didn't believe it, but I actually called the last owner to verify.  The womans name was aniela...

Scout's previous owners actually have known him for most of this boy's life.
Scout was purchased as a puppy by the Morgan's neighbors and lived in the backyard while they lived in the house.
When they moved away, Scout was left in the yard tied to a tree.
The Morgan family would go over and feed him and play with him, but didn't want to "take" him, because he wasn't theirs.
Soon later, another family moved into the house Scout lived at, and they took him in as their own.
Again, when they moved away, he stayed behind tied to the tree.
This happened once more until Mrs. Morgan decided it was enough.

She took him in and he became an inside dog.
He is great with their other dogs and children...they have 5!
When they took Scout in, another family moved into that house, and they have a pomeranian.
They let the pom out to wander wherever it wants to go, and when Scout it outside and sees the pom, he jumps the fence to go play with it.
This was not a daily occurence, but it did happen every time Scout was outside and saw the pom or something else he wanted on the other side of the fence.
The Morgans tried everything! Even the harsh in-ground electric fence made for "stubborn dogs" and nothing worked. When Scout wanted to get out, he would.

Now, his life changed quite a bit when this nice family took him in and let him be inside, got him neutered and gave him vaccines. He was very happy with them, and they love him so much.
Mrs.Morgan is pregnant now, though, with her 6th child, and Scout keeps jumping out of the fence.
She is not allowed to go chasing after him (doctors orders) and Scout has nearly gotten both of them hurt on many occasions.
She has tried speaking to the neighbors about keeping their animals in, and they will not. And to make matters worse, they began threatening the Morgans that they would "shoot Scout if he got out and chased their dog again".
This scared her, so she came to Pets Inc to see if we would put him on the website.
We definitely were able to do that, but then she came back about 3 hours later...
I was a little confused when I saw her, and she began crying and said they actually had their guns out and were shooing at Scout when he went to play with the pomeranian.

And that is when I said, ok you cannot take him back to your house, and so I took him in! :)

Oh, I'd have been on the phone with the local police / sheriff that someone's head would have been spinning.  I know very few communities / counties that don't have a leash law of some kind in effect; I know of very few where shooting at a dog would be condoned by the constabulary!

I know, scout just wanted to play so he was off his property too, but there are extenuating circumstances that come into play ... and I get kinda aggressive (legally though) when someone starts making noises about shooting my dog!

Good on you for giving him a good furever home !

How confusing for poor scout. He lived in that back yard all his life, left tied to the tree for heavens sake he sees it as his home and territory then these people move in with a puff ball for him to play with and he's shot at! Thank godness for that lovely family taking him in so that you could offer him a forever home. Welcome both.