Hi From Savannah, Andrew, & Bear

Bear the husky

My fiancé and I just adopted this 6 week old bundle, and decided to call him "Bear." He is a full-blooded husky, and we are waiting on his papers in the mail. This is my 3rd husky (had two as a child and teenager), and this is his first. We're excited to start our journey with our Little Bear.

Though I do have one question. The first husky my family had, we rescued as an adult, and the second one we raised from a pup. When we got our last puppy (Aquarius) at 7 weeks old, her ears were fully erect. So, this is the first experience I've had with a husky's ears laying down. Will they stand up as he gets older? Both of his parents' ears stand up straight, or is it just a feature some huskies have?

Either way, we already love our little guy very much, and I am excited to be part of this forum!

Hi there, cute little puppy you got :) from what I know, husky pups tend to have their ears erect by the age of 5 weeks, so that does sound a little odd. But I do know that you shouldn't mess with the ear too much esp. if it's still developing. Who knows she might have her ears erect in a few weeks :) 

Hi and welcome to the Forum!! 

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that 6 weeks is WAY to early to bringing the little one home - they learn so much from their siblings during those weeks between 6 and 10.  Oh well, it's done - be prepared for a few lesson in social interaction.

As far as his ears go, hey should come up somewhere between now and the 12 week mark ... some of the kids are just a little slower than others.

As an edit, would you mind filling in part of your profile, since we have members all over the globe, it often helps if we have some idea where you are when we go to answering questions.

Edited by Al Jones

Welcome to the pack :-) ears down is completely normal , you might find in a few days , a week or so they'll stand up n then they might flop again but they will eventually stand up (puppies ears can flop during teething too) but do NOT play with them as it will soften the cartledge and then they won't stand up at all

Hello and welcome to the forum!  I would agree with Al, somewhere by 12 weeks their ears will stand up.  Did you get the pup from a breeder?  I am surprised they let him go so early.  Anyway, good luck and welcome :)

Welcome to the forum. The ears will perk up soon. Like Nix suggested, don't play with them until they do. Yes, you got Bear a bit too early in his life, but that's OK. No harm done. Just means you will need to do a bit more work to teach him about bite inhibition, and socializing. Just give him your attention and your love, work with him and spend time with him and you will end up with one of best Huskies you could ever imagine.