Will My Dog Ever Stop Biting ?

AzurA

my 3.5 months old wont stop biting

im getting worried

i realize its normal and all but i was told by some people that if i wont do something soon he will get used to biting and wont stop even after his teeth will fall off

what do i do ?

im trying to yell "ouch" and stop playing with him when he bites but that doesnt help

the only time he doesnt bite is when he is really tired and just woke up from a nap

I didn't have either of my dogs at this age so can't give any advice. Though all I will say is be firm and consistent, make sure he is stimulated when he is awake, try and tire him out. My older dog used to mouth us quite badly before we had his brother, I found distraction was a good way to stop him, though didn't always work. I used to  put him in a different room if it got really bad 'time out' then when he had calmed down let him back in.

good luck

I didn't have either of my dogs at this age so can't give any advice. Though all I will say is be firm and consistent, make sure he is stimulated when he is awake, try and tire him out. My older dog used to mouth us quite badly before we had his brother, I found distraction was a good way to stop him, though didn't always work. I used to  put him in a different room if it got really bad 'time out' then when he had calmed down let him back in.

good luck

at what age was that ?

20 months :(  But don't forget we don't know his background, what age he was when he was removed from his littler. He was a rescue so we have know idea how he was raised. He was new to us and us to him and it wasn't aggressive just playful.

Our second dog was 4.5 months old when we got him, he used to bite Harry all the time. When he was teething I used to find lots of little teeth on the floor and often Harrys neck would have blood on it, it was quite worrying. Now he is 7 months, he does still bite but Harry warns him if he's getting too rough, usually with a growl and pushing him over, after a few times Snowy gets the message and leaves Harry alone.

Why don't you try taking him out for a walk, tire him out a little, then use a toy to play with him. We found when Harry started biting us, using a raw bone to distract him really helped.

I know it's not fun when they constantly bite, hopefully someone else on here can offer some better advice :)

My girl Mia was horrendous when she was a pup, she would bite everything and everyone :( I found it a really difficult stage and it often spoilt our fun.

But it is only a stage and with the right training they do come through it. It does sound as though you are doing all the right things, you just need to persevere some more.

During play if Mia nipped I would say ouch and tell her to 'get a toy' then I would hold a toy for her to bite so we could continue playing. Mia will now fetch toys from her toy box if she wants to play rough with me and hadn't nipped for about a year.

Like you when Mia nipped I would say ouch,then place her into to time out for a few minutes, I would do this is she continued nipping once we had a toy. Once in time out she would bark her annoyance, but I would leave her there until she became quiet.

This took several months of training and at points I really felt things weren't going to improve and honestly felt as though Mia was spoiling her puppy stage by nipping so much. But it really is a normal puppy stage, that just lasts a little longer in huskies than in some other breeds.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there x

My girl Mia was horrendous when she was a pup, she would bite everything and everyone :( I found it a really difficult stage and it often spoilt our fun.

But it is only a stage and with the right training they do come through it. It does sound as though you are doing all the right things, you just need to persevere some more.

During play if Mia nipped I would say ouch and tell her to 'get a toy' then I would hold a toy for her to bite so we could continue playing. Mia will now fetch toys from her toy box if she wants to play rough with me and hadn't nipped for about a year.

Like you when Mia nipped I would say ouch,then place her into to time out for a few minutes, I would do this is she continued nipping once we had a toy. Once in time out she would bark her annoyance, but I would leave her there until she became quiet.

This took several months of training and at points I really felt things weren't going to improve and honestly felt as though Mia was spoiling her puppy stage by nipping so much. But it really is a normal puppy stage, that just lasts a little longer in huskies than in some other breeds.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there x

i have yet to try that time out thing, im not sure if i should do it cause his closed in his crate for a major part of the day anyhow, from 9 to 13 and from 13:30 to 18 and obviously at night too

so the little time he has to roam free i should add more alone time, i dont know, what do you think ?

It's not recommended to use their crates for time out, crates should be associated with nice things so they remain happy to go in them.

Time out for my dogs is behind the safety gate in the kitchen. You shouldn't put them out for long, maybe 2-3 minutes....when Mia was tiny the art of letting her out as soon as she stopped crying was difficult as she really didn't like it. It is very important not to let them out until crying stops, otherwise you teach them crying gets attention....

I appreciate what you're saying and of course you want to spend all your free time with your pup, but this training is important to ensure the time you have is quality and not overshadowed by the nipping.

Have you got another area you could use for time out other than the crate?

Doron, time outs can be *very* effective and they don't need to be long - just long enough to get his attention.  At 3.5 months, you know you're still dealing with a real puppy and all they want to do is be with you and play so even depriving him of that attention for a minute or two can really make a difference.

If he understands "set", one thing you might try when he's getting really nippy would be to have say "No!" (kain?), have him set and then reward him after a few seconds (10-15) of setting and behaving nicely.

Try to redirect and reward. If that doesnt work..."no" first then a timeout....Mine REALLY tested my patience as a pup. And those puppy teeth are razor sharp. 

Please try and be patient. He's not trying to be mean. It's USUALLY a way to communicate something.  So while you're training not to bite, try to train him

to communicate in other ways (like..."go stand by the door if you want outside")

i can close him in the bathroom or something, as i dont have a baby gate

sounds like i dont have much choice, if i just ignore the biting he will keep doing it forever yeah ?

You're right, if you just ignore it he'll keep on doing it since there's no reason to stop.  If, on the other hand you ignore him (tell him "no!" and then walk away for a minute or so) and have a lot of patience he'll eventually get the idea.  Time outs aren't intended to be like you'd do for a child - "You're in the corner till you learn better or turn 18!" - they're just a few minutes at most.

Zena is nearly 7 months now and she is the same and always bites our arms, clothes, etc. so we either say "wheres ya toy" which always works as she fetches it or we just fold our arms and put our back to her, that works most times but when it doesn't we walk out of the room for a minute or so.

when storm was a pup he was a nightmare for nibbling.

We used to hold his mouth shut and march him to his crate for time out.

yes I know all this is not recommended advice, its what I did.

And it worked.

My recent pup didnt have the biting issues really.

One of the many joys of Husky companionship!

Skye, (5 months rescue - previous history unknown), is particularly playful, (at the moment), and it is a long time since we had a 'puppy' so this has been a new experience as Husky puppy's are a tad more 'playful' than your average Labrador - although Cassie, (our Labradoodle), was an exception - hence the reason why she and Skye 'clicked' straight away!

We are finding that we do need to correct Skye, repeatedly, and, (although somewhat repetitive), it is starting to work.

We do have to initiate the odd 'time out' but we have to 'chastise' Cassie as often as we do Skye - such is the over playful nature of our Doodle!

Luna, (4 years rescue & pack leader), just sits back and watches from a distance but will, occasionally, join in when the opportunity takes her fancy otherwise she just remains as 'regal' as ever relaxing on her favourite chair, (whoops there goes Husky rule number 7)!

You got your husky when he was very young, if I remember correctly. This will probably make the process longer and more painful, as he missed out on some important learning time from his siblings. I'd say his behavior is normal, especially given that complication.

That said, I got mine at just under 9 weeks and she is still pretty mouthy. It has gotten a bit better in the last month - but she is 15 months and still likes to play with her mouth. When she gets mouthy, I put a short training leash on her and make her sit and calm down. Ignoring her did not do the trick for us, nor did yelping, but forcing her to sit seems to have eventually helped. She hates being confined, so after months and months of consistently making her "sit" whenever she started mouthing, I think she is FINALLY getting it.

Great advice...

I also wanted to add that Bella also was exceptionally mouthy when she was over tired. Puppies grow at a crazy rate and need lots of sleep. So when she was being too mouthy or a few time outs weren't working she went into the crate with a stuffed Kong, often would fall asleep and come out better behaved! She's pretty much all but stopped her mouthing now, what also worked was getting her 'working' when she started using her mouth!

• 3 weeks later...