Shaving My Husky During Shedding Period

Kbarber

Has anyone ever shaved their Husky during the time they are blowing their coats? My Husky, Gunner is going through this phase right now and I can't take all the hair in my house and on my clothes any longer. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

post-11444-0-59047100-1391887226_thumb.j

No never - it's really not a good idea at all to shave them - it's natural for them to blow their coats - it's gets everywhere for a few weeks then it's back to normal again.

Koda one of mine has just finished shedding, at times i had more fur on me than he did! LOL

All you can do is brush brush brush oh and hoover all the time  :rolleyes:

Please do not shave Gunner please you will ruin his coat for ever and ever.....

brush gunner 2 or 3 times a day would be much better for Gunner....

But please do not shave Gunner.......

Well I guess that answers my question. Thanks your your help!

Even if it was NOT what you wanted to hear.  I finally went out and got a shop vac for the worst of the hair, then I follow it up ( well, sometimes ) with a regular vacuum.

I've seen some pictues on the web of Husky's who have been shaved and couldn't find them, but I did find this site that has come good comments about why not to "shave" them.

Some comments to the side, Husky's - under all that fur - generally have a very light colored skin so they're apt to sun burn easily which also brings on a plethora of other skin problems.  Add to that the fact that all that fur keeps them warm in winter, obviously, it also keeps them cooler in the heat of the summer ...

Edited by Al Jones

If you think you have it bad with Gunner blowing his coat you want to come round my house at the moment. I have all 5 of mine blowing at the same time. I would never dream of shaving any of them although I do occasionally  tell them from time to time that I'm tempted to.LOL. 

On another note, and regular forum members will get this one, If you were thinking of shaving Husky-Gunner, a few of us might volunteer to hold him down for you. pmsl.

Gary.

If you think you have it bad with Gunner blowing his coat you want to come round my house at the moment. I have all 5 of mine blowing at the same time. I would never dream of shaving any of them although I do occasionally  tell them from time to time that I'm tempted to.LOL. 

On another note, and regular forum members will get this one, If you were thinking of shaving Husky-Gunner, a few of us might volunteer to hold him down for you. pmsl.

Gary.

Oh you are Wicked  :rofl:    and No please don't shave your  dog !!  Welcome to H-O by the way :)

Hi and welcome!  He is handsome!   As you read, the answer would be no LOL. That's life with a husky!  I have 3 and it can get a bit much, but if you brush them regularly or maybe a trip to the groomer it can be more manageable.   

Hi and welcome!  He is handsome!   As you read, the answer would be no LOL. That's life with a husky!  I have 3 and it can get a bit much, but if you brush them regularly or maybe a trip to the groomer it can be more manageable.   

I know the answer's been done to death: don't shave Gunner! Problem is the top coat, the guard hairs, which when cut/shaved don't regrow very readily.

As an example, 'Nook the Mal was shaved about 9 months ago "to keep him cool in the summer" before he came into rescue. As you can see, his undercoat has grown back but not his top coat - so he looks a cute fluff monster and a puppy, yet is 2 years old and wears a rain coat as he gets very waterlogged when out in the rain - his top coat does appear to be gradually returning, hopefully evenly and not in patches

post-1633-0-21835700-1391938568.jpg

Invest in a grooming attachment that attaches to your vacuum is my advice. My Ollie had to have an op a few months ago and has a lovely off the shoulder number to foot.  His undercoat is slowly growing back,however still no sign of the top guard coat. As huskies have less layers of skin (dermis) they will suffer from skin problems unless their skin is protected by the double coat, so I am having to be really careful with him, even mud can cause irritation.  The double coat acts as an insulation both when hot and cold.  One good thing though no-one will want to sit in your chair at work.  I also believe Nix is the Queen of the Lint Rollers (she posted a great picture a couple of years ago of her supplies) and that is another good investment.  Welcome to the world of husky owning.

Gary.

you will need a lot of you to do that lol :rofl:

I won't go in to the whys and wherefores of not shaving a husky, I think you might just have the message by now :lol:  I will tell you from experience of when my girl was bitten on the head, she had to have her head shaved so they could see the puncture wound. That fur has never grown back properly (you can't see it if you met her as the fur is naturally short anyway between the ears but if I pointed it out, you'd notice) - the only other places she has been shaved is her belly for spaying and one hind leg for a skin tag removal op.