Job Interview

Jay

Well, I have a job interview on Friday so I am hoping it goes well. 

For those of you that don't know, I work in a law firm that represents banks in mortgage foreclosures.  I went to school to be a paralegal, but this wasn't what I had in mind, and I don't really enjoy doing it.  The office politics are getting to me, and also foreclosures are slowing down, so our company has been downsizing.  I figured I would start looking now in case they downsized further, and also we did not receive annual raises this year either.

What I really want to do is criminal law, but I haven't been able to find anyone hiring.  Most places require experience in litigation or in that field, which I don't have :(  But the longer I stay here the harder it will be to leave.

So I have my first interview after about 3 months of searching!  It isn't exactly what I would want, but it's a start.  They represent corporations in civil lawsuits, which personally I would rather NOT do!  I am all about helping out the little people, and not protecting big corporations to make them richer. 

Because of that, I am not particulary excited about it, so that could work in my favor lol.  If I am offered the job I am really on the fence on whether I would take it or not.  I don't know if I should hold out for something I really want to do, or take this knowing that I won't want to do it for long term. 

Yeah, that's a tough call. I have had to work for people who are very different than me on the political spectrum and it is a challenge. Sometimes you have to look out for yourself and your family first, though. If it is something that could help get you experience that you could build off to get into a job you really want, it might be worth it!

I would be careful though, Jay, about what you say here, because if they google you, your name might come up on this forum! 

FYI - I googled you and your husky owner stuff came up on the second page of results...just an FYI :)

Edited by Chula

:o

thanks I will keep that in mind!  I didn't know that 

I would be careful though, Jay, about what you say here, because if they google you, your name might come up on this forum! 

FYI - I googled you and your husky owner stuff came up on the second page of results...just an FYI :)

That's what I thought too, which makes me think to take it if offered.  But then I think of all the perks I get here, like chatting to you all during the day :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .  And I can wear whatever I want, AND next year I get 4 weeks vacation time!  Plus, with this job I always know that I am going to be off at 5pm, and I can take my lunch everyday at noon, AND I can take my time off work whenever I want...

With the new place they said it is a one person show, so I think it would be difficult taking time off, and it kind of sounds like I would have to work overtime a lot.  Maybe I am too confortable here lol

hmmm I get where you are coming from. I think if you are not happy where you are, could you not view this new position as a change-is-as-good-as-a-rest solution, short term, but continue gaining experience in a different field until "your" job comes along?

Well the interview experience would be useful, regardless of whether you tske the job and it's good to hear them out about what the company and job is all about. :)

If you're worried about this being seen by non members, think the steam room is exempt from that. Have to be a logged in member for that particular section. ;)