I Have A Runner...

Sharri Van Zyl

Hi all :)

New member here from South Africa... I have a 1 year old husky female who goes through stages where she runs out the yard... we have a huge garden and her and her partner (a swiss shepard) have plenty of toys and company abd space to play so its extremely frustrating whwn she goes through these stages... any advice as to what could cause her to go through the running stages and how I can stop it when she does... I know huskies are intelligent dogs that get bored easily which is why we try keep her as entertained as possible but sometimes the second she sees the gate open she bolts and other times she just kinda lies in the corner by the door looking at it (thats the case most of the time) I just worry she is going to get hurt as we live on quite a busy road in a big suburb and shes not afraid of cars... her buddy the shepard always follows when she runs and tries to fwt her to come back inside and he generally manages to keep her pretty close to home but there have been times where I have had to get in my car just to be able to catch her and get her back in the yard

Any advice would be highly appreciated :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Huskies are known for being good escape artists, if an opportunity presents itself to escape then they'll take it.  That's just part of who they are.  They'll never have the reliable recall or desire to stay put like you would expect from some breeds like a labrador, for example. 

Your safest bet if your garden can be easily escaped is to put her on a tie out (stake in ground wth a long lead attached to it) so that she can still run arond the garden but you have peace of mind that she can't get too far. 

Try not to think of it as cruelty, what you're actually doing is protecting her from being run over or lost which is a far worse thing. 

We understand what it's like as we're all in the same boat, it's all part and parcel of being a husky owner.  

Yeah, it seems like it's mean, but it's way meaner for her to get run over and suffer broken bones or death, or stolen by less than savory people. You could try invisible fencing as a second barrier, but I've heard mixed results with huskies who are both furry and very determined when it comes to running.

Mine dug under the fence once in the span of a few minutes, so even with a 6 foot fence, unless you've got cement all the way around into the ground, there are no guarantees. They are very adept diggers, jumpers, and runners! I got a GPS for mine that goes on her collar, but even that won't help if she gets hit by a car before I can find her.

As stated, the desire to run is instinctive in this breed. Generally I find that tiring them out is the best way to keep them from bolting. Toys and playing in the yard are not enough in and of themselves. The breed needs daily walks or runs, and if it isn't provided the desire to run only increases. Walking, hiking, biking, skiing, sledding are all great activities for giving the breed the opportunity to stretch their legs that they need.

• 1 month later...

I have mastered the art of keeping yogi inside the yard. :) ive noticed that if I close the gate the second she goes out its no longer a game to her and she scratches the gate to get back in :P dont know how long that will kast but we will see. Also our shepard has seemed to catch onto the fact that she gets in trouble if she runs out so everytime the gate opens he now grabs her neck and plays with her to distract her and hold her back from running out. Lets hope he keeps up the good work

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk