Crusty Snotty Nose

Dazzlin

Sorry I haven't posted in ages but having a two year old and a 5 week old new born I've been very busy anyhow onto the issue.

Milo has had a really crusty nose for over two months now, every morning his nostrils are full of dried snot which he sneezes all over the carpets walls my trousers the stuff is awful and he don't seem at all happy.

He's been to the vets 3 times and they have prescribed him antibiotics the first time, second time different antibiotics and anti infantries the third time they todo blood samples as they can't tell me what's wrong.

I've spent over £250 which I don't mind if I was seeing an improvement but I'm not.

The top of his nose is bone dry and flaking but the front of his nose is wet almost dripping wet, to me he looks like he has a cold but just can't shift it.

I have insurance as the vets (drove) say the next thing will be an operation .

Any ideas or advice would be great

Well spoken to the vets and milo is back in for a series of tests which include

Camera up the nose

Flushing of the nasal cavities

X-rays

Been told if he has to stay in over night the total cost will be wait for this

£800 to £900 pounds this is now going through insurance and they have told me that once they have carried out these procedures they will know what's up with him

Poor milo

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update after Milos treatment, had the camera up his nose, X-rays taken, swabs of the snot, cultures grown and his nasal passage flushed.

They found nothing in there but the cultures grew a bacterial infection which they again treated with the most aggressive antibiotics but that didn't work he's still sneezing huge amounts of snot which is horrid for him.

The vet has now prescribed Prednidale steroids as they now think that his nose may be inflamed and aggravating things

All I can say is thank god for pet insurance , hope he gets better soon

Well a few days in now an milo has stopped sneezing and the snot seems to be subsiding fingers crossed.

One thing still remains his really crusty nose I'm not sure what I can rub into it to moisturise it as it's looking really flaky and not healthy

Any ideas

I'm not too sure what you can put on the nose itself.  I would of thought that as the steroids continue to bring the inflammation under control, then the rest would slowly start to pick up too, presuming it's all related.  But maybe someone else will have a few ideas? 

I'm cleaning it daily with warm water, the vet didn't say if it was connected to the bacterial infection and that he would be on the steroids for a few months

Was hoping that I could use something to try and clear the flaking of the scales on the nose as it's causing some discomfort to him

Thanks for the replies