Hubby Found A False Widow Spider!

Emma

Paul was working locally today and when he was in the road adjacent to our house, he found what he reckons is a false widow spider on someone's pipe!

i was round at a mates house at the time, so he sent us a picture message of it on his phone.  Was freaky!  lol.

post-6386-0-81584800-1393010693_thumb.jp

Great Spider!

People dont realise that we have an interesting variety of insects, (here in the UK), and I do find them all very interesting although some of 'them' seem to find me even more interesting as they keep trying to bite me!

I believe that there is an 'urban myth' regarding the good olde 'Daddy Longlegs' spider andvthese spiders were reputed to have the most toxic venom of all spiders,(but their fangs were not long enough to pierce the skin of a human)!

As with all insect/animal bites there are a wide variety of toxins each targeting different physiological systems thus resulting in a wide variety of symptoms and levels of severity.

Many exotic species are now being, accidently, introduced into the UK now that many of us travel, extensively, around the world inadvertently bringing back some very 'interesting' hitch hikers!

I remember walking through the South African bush, (back in the 1980's), and the ground was carpeted with small black Scorpions, (I had never seen one in the 'flesh' before), and they are now appearing around the major ports around the UK!

Sweet dreams!

once you know about them you see them in quite a few places. 

the news made them seem a lot scarier than they are. the bite unless you are alergic to it is a little worse than a bee sting.

a lot worse is the blandford fly bite. so may people get hospitalised with it that they now spray to keep its numbers down,

my brother was hospitalised from one.

Great Spider!

People dont realise that we have an interesting variety of insects, (here in the UK), and I do find them all very interesting although some of 'them' seem to find me even more interesting as they keep trying to bite me!

I believe that there is an 'urban myth' regarding the good olde 'Daddy Longlegs' spider andvthese spiders were reputed to have the most toxic venom of all spiders,(but their fangs were not long enough to pierce the skin of a human)!

As with all insect/animal bites there are a wide variety of toxins each targeting different physiological systems thus resulting in a wide variety of symptoms and levels of severity.

Many exotic species are now being, accidently, introduced into the UK now that many of us travel, extensively, around the world inadvertently bringing back some very 'interesting' hitch hikers!

I remember walking through the South African bush, (back in the 1980's), and the ground was carpeted with small black Scorpions, (I had never seen one in the 'flesh' before), and they are now appearing around the major ports around the UK!

Sweet dreams!

Sweet dreams indeed, lol. I had heard that some kinds of house spider were particularly venomous if they had the ability to puncture the skin. Didn't know about the scorpions though, that's quite surprising, I would of thought the winters would be too cold for them?

once you know about them you see them in quite a few places. 

the news made them seem a lot scarier than they are. the bite unless you are alergic to it is a little worse than a bee sting.

a lot worse is the blandford fly bite. so may people get hospitalised with it that they now spray to keep its numbers down,

my brother was hospitalised from one.

A blandford fly? Uh oh, I think I'm going to have to look that one up. Sorry to hear about your brother.

Isn't nature wonderful!

I developed tick bite fever, (whilst working in Africa), but didn't know anything about it until one of my colleagues roused me from unconciousness, (back in the 80's), and I still have a scar on my foot from where I was bitten, (so much for wearing flip flops in the bush)!

We used to carry 'selection' boxes with a selection of anti toxins and the box had pictures of some of the different 'creatures' that could do you harm and you were supposed to identify the creature and that would tell you what vial to select!

Considering that I had that to worry about, (as well as travelling around with a number of gamma and neutron radiation sources), I am quite pleased to have made it this far!

I haven't heard about the Blandford Fly either - probably just as well knowing my luck!