Never Been To A Dog Park Before

sammybeans

Sooo, I'm taking Champ to a dog park tomorrow for a husky and malamute meet up but I realized that I have never been to a dog park before...ever :blink:  I don't know if I'm more nervous about how he's going to do or about what a dog park full of northern breeds is going to be like for the humans.  Doesn't help that I have no idea what a dog park is like, the area I live in doesn't have any and I've always been kind of nervous about taking Champ into a park before because of little dogs, but I'm not sure what to expect of what a dog park is like and what is expected of me as an owner.  Now I've been a little worried about how he'll do, but I've been feeling that he'll do okay and the trainer at the rescue thinks he'll do just fine so I've been convincing myself that he'll do great!  I just don't know why I'm still nervous :wacko:

Well, first of all good luck!  Good thing is that most dog parks have separate areas for small and large dogs.  Also, keep in mind if they are all huskies...they play pretty rough so it may look worse than it really is.  And as long as your relaxed he should be fine.  I think they can sense if we are nervous.  One of our meets, there was a woman who had a rescue dog for just a few months and didn't want to let go of the leash.  We convinced her to, and her dog did just fine!  So, kick back and take LOTS of pics!  

I promised the trainer that I would take lots of pics if he did good, I'm charging the camera right now in fact lol.  I think he'll do fine, and I've seen some of the videos of huskies playing so I'm hoping that I'm prepared!  I just want him to have doggie friends and if he does good we'll be able to go to other husky meet ups that are further away, more adventures for everyone! :)

So Champ did great!  After the initial being a jerk to everyone where we had him by himself in the small dog area so that he could calm down we took him into the main part of the park where everyone else was and we took him through a side entrance so he wouldn't be immediately surrounded by all the other dogs and he did great.  He had a couple spats with a couple of dogs that tried to mount him, which I don't blame him for and let him defend himself without getting onto him about it.  There was one dog I really wish the owner would have removed because he kept mounting the other dogs and starting fights and she was just 'oh don't do that' every time he did it and a scuffle would break out.  There was one really bad fight over a tennis ball, which there usually isn't toys or treats allowed but they were frozen into the snow when we got there and the dogs dug them up but Champ wasn't involved even though all the dogs mobbed the fighters.  It was a lot of fun watching him run and play with the other dogs and we're definitely going to go to more meet ups.  I will post pictures later when I have internet that will support doing so :) (I took like 33 pics while we there lol)