Could Otto Be A Mix?

bamills1

So I'm a little irritated now. Let's all remember that I'm a 19 year college student so my source and breeder not be scolded.

I'm at the park today and I spot a husky. I jog over to see her because they're not a lot in alabama. Well this dog was very very pretty, blue eyes, fluffy coat, and 7 months old. They asked me if Otto was full blooded and I relied with "I assume so, that's what I was told." Obviously I can't be sure because I'm lacking the papers to prove it. Well Otto does not have a very full undercoat. In fact it is absent in most places. His ears, are also massive. So I'm starting to wonder if he could be a mix. The reason this irritates me is because what if I'm feeding him too little now, if he doesn't have the husky metabolism. Any ideas here? I've emailed the breeder just now and asked her about any mixes in the parents.

8uzudy3a.jpg9ezaty5y.jpge4egasuh.jpg

Solo came to us as an adult so dont know the stages of puppyhood but looking at the extensive library of pictures on the forum tells me they can have different traits I.e. size, coat, colour. Im sure those with more knowledge than I can give a better answer but if he is healthy I wouldn't worry that you are under feeding. Otto is sweet as he is x

There's no way to be sure, but honestly huskies come in all coat types. Lack of an undercoat doesn't surprise me, especially in a puppy. Big ears? YUP don't we all remember that stage!! That is PERFECTLY normal in purebred siberians :D And I know you didn't mention it, but the brown eyes are also normal (I noted how you mentioned blue eyes on the other husky) and most huskies in the show ring will have brown eyes rather than blue. Hope this helps, without papers you can't be 100% sure but I'm apt to say your guys is mostly if not all husky. 

He could have strong genetics from the working lines. Working huskies are generally not as fluffy as the show lines. Thats what I have been told anyway. If you look at my signature photos neither of mine have fluffy as coats. Both mine have an obvious undercoat, but , I live in a completely different climate :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Snowy is a GSD/husky mix apparently, he's a rescue so we can never be 100% sure. His coat is much softer than Harrys, though he's still a puppy but doesn't have big ears like some husky puppies do.  He wants to eat alot but if I let him eat what he wants he gets diarrhoea, so if the amount you are giving Otto suits him then I wouldn't worry.

He looks purebred to me. Idk if it's just me, but GSD/Husky mixes in the forum tend to have a fuller, rounder muzzle. Otto has a correct cone-shaped, medium in length muzzle. I won't worry about his ears... He's still growing :) about the coat he either come from a working line or he's just short-coated :)

Hidden

Even if he is a cross, theres probably no issue with how much you are feeding. Pups at that stage should be thin anyhow. Not all lanky Sibes are from racing lines. Light bones are pretty easy to breed into a line. The long stiffle and croup are common in GSD, but again it doesn't mean he is a gsd.

So all of this is leading to my next question. If he is short haired, which I assume now he is, does that change anything about warm weather. Right now we have highs in the mid 60, low 70's but when summer comes and it's 90-100°...is there any change at all. I give him about 2 hours at a time right now outside, while we're at the lake and he is getting in and wet, and giving him water. But does the short coat mean anything as far as overheating?

So all of this is leading to my next question. If he is short haired, which I assume now he is, does that change anything about warm weather. Right now we have highs in the mid 60, low 70's but when summer comes and it's 90-100°...is there any change at all. I give him about 2 hours at a time right now outside, while we're at the lake and he is getting in and wet, and giving him water. But does the short coat mean anything as far as overheating?

nah even short-coated ones still have that self-cooling system :) as long as you're keeping an eye on him when it's hot out, I'm sure he'd be okay