Training Treats

DakotasDad

Hey guys, we've been giving Dakota some basic training, she's great with sit, lay down, give her paw and come, she's getting their with stay. Sometimes she gets too excited and gives her paw and lays down at the same time, but just kinda collapses haha.

We are giving her natures:menu treats, we break each small treat in to 3 pieces.

The ingredients list is good, but I still worry about giving her more than a few at a time.

What are the healthiest treats to give her? I've watched some dog trainers on YouTube using their clickers and they must feed the dog about 500 treats per session! Click, click, click... Urgh. Surely can't be good?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

you can use their food instead - if they will work for it - just cut out what you've used out of their meal 

i use pedigree cheesey bites , not the best i know but my girl will do ANYTHING for them lol , we only do very short training sessions tho so shes not being fed hundreds a time

We usually use fisherman's finest or wainwrights dog treats.  If we've run out, then we just use their kibble. 

I thought you said Fisherman's friends :rofl:  :rofl:  :rolleyes:   I must admit I use cheese or some chicken strips cut into tiny pieces :)

I am a bit crazy but I get chicken tenderloin (the strips under the breast) and put in some baking paper, fold it and then bash down the chicken till it is around 0.5cm thick. I fold the rest of the edges around the paper and bake in a moderate oven for 10 mins. Pop it in the fridge to cool. THen it is easy to slice into 0.5cm cubes. Then I have heaps of small treats to use in a session or make more and freeze. 

I originally boiled, but found it really messy and stringy to use. I also roughly calculate how much I am using and reduce the meals accordingly. 

Great ideas! Thanks. I must admit, Mike, I also initially read Emma's post as Fishermans friends hahaha.

Dakota is funny, sometimes she won't eat all the food in her bowl, but she will find a biscuit near the big bag, pick it up and run like the wind haha. She knows if she picks something up from the floor, 99.9% of the time it's gonna be taken off her lol

I lost faith in most commercial dog treats unfortunately :( I used to give mine JerHigh Bacon Strips, but then I read about a dog that died due to treat poisoning. Since then whenever I pick up a dog treat in the pet store I spend twice longer reading the ingredients list and I'm disappointed to find that 99% of those treats have artificial coloring and/or preservatives/some weirdly-named chemical stuff in it. Cheese, apple, pear, natural yoghurt and milk biscuit are my favorites now... 

Freya loves hotdog sausages sliced thinly only 49p a tin in local cheap shops and last ages. she also loves wafer thin ham in little pieces we just get the cheapest value pack and again it lasts for ages plus if I get hungry on a walk I can nibble as well

I use various fruits and occasionally her food. Treats for Jelly actually depend on the complexity of the trick.  Usually white chicken meat bits/pieces of a hot dog for difficult things (Like RECALL ADKFTMGELGFMAELFGMKL M.. stupid recall).  Fruits/dog food for simple things she already knows well enough to tell from hand signals