Going For A Quick Skate With Moose

SebasCbass

Moose is now about 5 months old and he has a ton of energy to get rid of.  I decided to take him for a Skate around the development near my house the other day and when we got home he was pooped.  He loved every single second of it and wanted to do it again later in the day but I didn't want to overdo it.  He wasn't pulling, I stopped when he wanted to stop and started up again when he was ready to go.  

So my question is, Is it OK for me to take him on a run with me? I don't want to do him any harm since he is still growing.  We went for about a mile with a few stops on the way.

Thoughts?

Thanks Everyone

I would advise caution.  As a puppy his bones and muscles are still developing. They reckon on 12-18 months before you should put them under any srain and even then it needs time. I had mine hooked up to a tyre and let them pull that round for a while. Once again starting with just a little and building it up gradually.

Gary.

I was aware of the 12-18 months rule of thumb, just thought that was for pulling since their muscles and bones are still growing.  I stopped every single time he wanted to stop and we took a few breaks along the way.  I let him dictate the pace as I didn't want to hurt him. I guess I will find another way for him to drain his energy in the meantime. 

Thanks for the info.  :pawprint:

The way I would look at it, I'd id go for a run about with him. But that sounds kinda like what you did. I.e. letting him dictate the pace, when he stops and starts etc. I don't see how this is different to letting a dog run in the park and him going for a run? You're just running with him?

If you let most dogs off leash, they will run about, chase one another etc. Now Huskies obviously aren't generally good off leash so they don't get that same kind of exercise. So what is unique about a Husky, that means they aren't supposed to run?

I appreciate they aren't supposed to pull until they're fully developed, but this whole not being able to run, even at their own pace is definitely news to me and not something I've read in any book nor been advised by my vet.

Obviously you'd not take a 5 month old Husky on a 10 mile run or day long hike, but a 1 mile run, at huskies own pace? Really?

I'm interested to learn more about this, as I'd definitely never have known a 5 month old puppy cannot run for a mile, at his own pace.

When I got my old English many years ago, myself and my friend who had a miniature schnauzer pup would take them out to the park and they'd chase one another around like crazy and would easily cover a mile during each session. Again, is this seen as bad for a 5 month old pup?

Any literature, studies, books etc that I can read? Quick Google I can only find a few blog posts etc that largely focus on ensuring to start slow, let the pup dictate the pace etc.

I understand what you are saying Paul it is not the running bit at the pup's own pace that is the problem imo  it is the predicting that you know when your pup stops.

if you can keep an eye on where you are going and at the pup at all times then it would be different but that is not something that is possible i think. 

Yeah, I can see that there could be issues if you're not paying close attention to pup.

I also want to go roller blading with Dakota along the sea front.

My aim was to start at 6 months and start slowly, taking it at her pace and always keeping by her side, not in front.

Obviously if this could harm her development, I won't do it. I'd just like to understand why I guess. I'd have figured slowly getting them fit, would have been a great thing for their health.

I can see where you are coming from really I can it can do a lot of damage and then afterwards you might not be able to do it when Dakota is older so why force it when Dakota is young when you can have lots of fun doing it when Dakota is older and without health issues....

That is the way I look at it...

Huskies miss out on so much already by not being able to be off leash, being confined to a lead, IMO, isn't even close to the pleasure or level of exercise dogs get when they've got freedom to run about.

I don't see how Dakota is going to get anywhere near the exercise she needs, especially as our garden isn't particularly big.

I guess these are challenges I need to figure out but I do feel she needs more exercise than simply walking every day.

Her new Flexi, 8 meter leash arrived today and of course that will give her some freedom, but certainly not to run about and play with other dogs like every other dog on the beach will be doing.

How do you guys get over this challenge? How do you ensure your husky pup is getting the exercise they need? Or do you truly feel a walk is all they need until they're a year old?

It has a lot more to do with the surface than with the running or distances. Husky puppies will usually do a mile pretty easily, but you want to make sure that they are doing that mile on softer surfaces such as turf or grass, rather than concrete or ice. Hard surfaces have little to no yield in them and thus create more stress on the joints, which can cause issues later in life. I have no issue taking them out for a romp in the woods or even allowing them to run around in a fenced area.

I don't think there is anything special about huskies that makes them not supposed to run at 5 months. I think a lot of people have medium and large breed dogs with arthritis and pain because they didn't know the consequences of running their puppies.

Find an off lead park, or set up a play date with a dog owner who has a bigger yard. Mine has never been off leash, and we started very slowly jogging her around 10-11 months. We started using a bike attachment at just over a year, going very slowly on grass/dirt paths.

She's happy, she's well adjusted. She gets plenty of exercise.