Resetting A Puppies Body Clock

DakotasDad

Dakota wakes us up, every day at 6:45am without fail. She usually wakes us up in the night too, for the bathroom.

She goes to bed fine, falls asleep and doesn't make a sound.

Once she's up at 6:45, that's it, she will not for love nor money give up. She will happily cry for hours if we let her.

Usually if I lay in front of her cage with her, she will quieten up and maybe even go back to sleep. However I'm exhausted and would love for her to sleep in until 8am.

I've tried going to bed later but it doesn't change her clock, it's as though she has some kind of super accurate clock in her brain and it's set for 6:45.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Of course, she likes to nap through the day while I'm working!

Have you not found the reset slot in your furkids yet....... :D  :D (if you do let me know please)

mine are a bit older and wake me up at roughly the same time every morning apart from sunday morning then it is about 30 mins later....

Incredible! Prior to getting Dakota my clock was set to about 10-11am as my office is at home. So this is a shock to my body clock for sure. But Dakota seems fine with that haha.

I'll be sure to keep looking for this switch, I've not even found the battery cover yet, and at times I'd love to be able to take them out for a little while :D

that's the thing with dogs... wish their internal clock isn't as accurate! :lol: Diamond used to wake me up at 6:30 every Sunday. That's because I still have school on Sat and Sun is the only day I can walk him in the morning. It's sweet at first, but then some weeks I was so tired I slept through his howls and cries. Soon he accepts that his schedule has changed and he's gonna be walked at either 7 or 7:30, not 6 or 6:30!

So I guess I'd say invest on some earplugs... they do adapt to changes :)

I worry about our neighbours more than myself. We are actually thinking of moving to a more private house, as we don't want Dakota keeping everybody awake haha.

She is so vocal it's baffling, the noises she makes when she's decided she's had enough of her crate are shocking. She squeals, howls, whines, low pitch, high pitch, and they are relentless haha. She's looking right at us while she's doing it too, so she knows EXACTLY what she's doing and why. She's literally trying every pitch possible until she finds one that annoys us enough to get up with her lol.

Somebody in the forum suggested this some time ago in a similar discussion:

What about visiting your neighbor with a box of chocolate/something like that? Tell them you have a puppy in training and (you promise) the noise would not wake them up every morning for the rest of their lives. Yes the dog's noisy and yes she's early but she's just a baby. She'd learn to be quiet in a week or two. 

I wish I could reset my dog's clock!  I get up at 6am but it never fails that they will wake up between 5 and 5:30!  Just late enough where there isn't a point going back to sleep :(  I try to ignore them until 6 but it usually doesn't work and I give in.  Kodiak and Yukon will step all over me to get me up. Nikko, however would let me sleep in until noon if I let him!

So mine are always up between 5:00 and 5:30 am. However that is in part our fault because that is the normal time we are up for work. On weekends, I get up, take them out to potty and then back into their crates they go till I am ready to get up and walk them. Weekday mornings they get their walk early. Its taken a while to get to this point, but it can, does happen. One of the things we found initially that would help was keeping them up and active a bit later in the evening.

Mine has always been up at around 5:45-6 am. That's when the other half wakes up to go to work. It took me awhile to get used to waking up that early because I used to sleep until 8 and I loved those hours in the bed by myself after my snoring boyfriend went off to work. But now I like having mornings with her. It's our special "girl time". 

The frustrating part is the weekends when she wants to be up at the same time! She's gotten better about staying in bed until 7 am or so as long as the other half is still in bed, but she usually jumps up on our bed around 6 and stares at us, waiting for someone to notice her. And if he goes to work on a Saturday, forget about it, she's up at 6 like clockwork.

I have not slept past 7:30 am since January 23, 2013 :) 

You could try letting her out, feeding her, and then putting her back in her crate or in your room with a kong or chew toy and see if she'll give you a few extra minutes of rest.

6am 7am phhht!

Both my husband & our Kallie are up by 4am EVERY DAY!

My fault for marrying a farm boy, I suppose.

I hate mornings.

Jelly wakes up whenever someone else wakes up too lol.

She's probably up before that but she's so quiet so I just assume she's sleeping.

She hasn't woken me up on purpose since she was around 5-6 months old.  It was a terrible phase as I hated waking up at 5 or 6 but she stopped eventually. 

Not sure how to reset though O: