How Many Miles/kilometers Do You Walk?

Chula

I mapped out our typical walk yesterday and it's just over 2 miles (3.2 km). It takes about 40-50 minutes because there is some sniffing, plus crossing streets with cars and traffic lights, and we still have the occasional bout of her pulling or thrashing and having to make her sit and calm down. Then OH walks then jogs her about another 2 miles in the evening. So she gets around 4.0 miles of walks a day.

I'm curious if that is in the range of what others do. She knows her schedule and will stand by the front door crying for her morning walk, and it's really, really obvious if for whatever reason she doesn't get her evening jog because she turns into a wild and crazy beast.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh they get garden and house running as well..  LOL  and this does not include any special walks at the weekend...when it gets hot I change the routine around now it is long walk morning and early evenings and  short one later in the evening when hot short one early evening long one late evening...

No wonder you don't need to crate :) Your dogs get awesome exercise. Right now it is so dark in the evening that I don't feel comfortable walking her by myself, so I wait until he gets home and can take her. Once it's light out past 6 again, hopefully we can take some fun hikes. I live about a mile from the river and she loves loves loves to swim.

Poor Suka. :(

I really was of the impression that we were doing enough walking, but now that I've asked, I think maybe it's not enough. I can expand the loop we do to about three miles, but we'll either have to walk faster or I"ll have to get up earlier!

Poor Suka. :(

I really was of the impression that we were doing enough walking, but now that I've asked, I think maybe it's not enough. I can expand the loop we do to about three miles, but we'll either have to walk faster or I"ll have to get up earlier!

I think what you are doing is fine - especially since your OH jogs her in the evening. I wouldn't worry about it - if she seems happy with her schedule and isn't destructive, then I'd keep doing what you're doing. 

She mostly seems happy with her schedule, but like I said if OH is sick or extra tired and she doesn't get an evening job, she is just crazy and out of control. I try to play fetch with her in the yard on those nights, which luckily are rare, but she will only do that for a little while. Once it's lighter out I can take her for another walk if OH doesn't feel like jogging.

I take her to doggy daycare once a week too in order to tire her out! They have been having her run around on the agility course and they say she loves it and is really good at it. I think I'm going to start agility classes there once the days get longer and OH's hours get longer too. And once it's a bit warmer get back on the bicycle!

I would agree that it really depends on your dogs. My female would walk five miles at a time if we let her, whereas the male would quite at 1/2 a mile if we let him. We do a mile and a half in the morning and again at night. When we can, have them pull in the evening instead of the walk, either with a cart or a sled, which tends to make them much more tired. The more you work with them and get them in shape, they more they are going to want to do, which is great when you have the time/energy, but not so great when you don't as you've learned.

Mine get about 3 miles per day.  We both take turns doing the walks, me at 6:30am before work for about a half hour (1 1/2 miles) and he does them at night between 8 and 10pm for the same amount. 

Although it is is REALLY cold, like it was this morning I skip the walks, and the same if one of us is sick, or if it's raining out.  There have been times they have went 2-3 days with no walks.  Nikko will get kind of hyper, but the other two are fine with it.  It helps that they wear each other out playing inside.  When it was just Nikko he would go nuts without his walks, especially since I don't have anywhere for them to run outside.

I take naya for either a 3k to 5k walk/jog, or to the park for some off lead playtime with the other local dogs.

If she's had a good park playtime during the day she won't even be interested in going out again in the evening :)

As long as my girl gets her 3 - 3 and a half mile walk in the morning  she is fine plus she has outside time and playtime with our other pup, that usually takes me around an hour  give or take, according to how many interesting smells she comes across

My girl only gets about a mile a day. It's all she can really handle right now. Over the weekend I took her on a three mile walk and she was so stiff and sore she didn't move the rest of the evening. She does have free reign of the house all day though and she's constantly walking around the house plus every time she's let out to use the bathroom she walks around the entire yard for several minutes. 

My two have 4 to 8 miles sometimes more each day. We do a short 2 mile in the morning and depending how busy or achy we are a further 2 to 8 mile in the evening. And they still have a mad half hour running round and playing when we get back. Wish I could bottle that energy.

Jelly gets 2-8 miles a day lol.   (3-12 km)

She would probably walk more than that if she could but I'm too lazy to stay outside lol.

I would say she's a really active dog but on days that she only gets 2 miles, so long as she gets any walk or jog, she's calm the rest of the day

can't say the same for a day when I feel too lazy to go out though...  

My friend doesn't walk her husky at ALL and he's always fine surprisingly. Does get super hyper when he gets excited though

Guess it really does depend on the dog.

Zena's walks differ, she gets a half hour walk every morning then an hour later on, if we go to the beach for an hour or two that does her for the day. I'm off today so i'm about to walk her to my mams which is 2.8 miles each way and she had a walk this morning so she will be very tired when I get back. She sleeps all day though in the house.