HI everyone,

This is ICE, or Icecube depending how hyper I am and whether he's being good or not. I initially owned rabbits but my brother was persistant that he wanted a dog and was on gumtree looking at animals...he didn't have a clue, so I looked and I found this little boy aged 18months at the time (got him in january). He was castrated and going for free so I offered to take him, to say the least he hasn't been easy, at first he tried to kill my rabbits so I rehomed them, now he wants my neighbours cats and jumps oour four and a half foot fence so that needs adjusting.. He also is losing weight, is a fussy eater and has little muscle on him according to the vets. So now I'm here, looking to meet other husky owners who I'm sure have had issues too :) and how I can put some muscle on him! Ty

post-11601-0-31270400-1395063937_thumb.j

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to Husky Owners.

Well done on rehoming Ice.

They have a high prey drive so local small pets and wildlife are constant targets.

You really need a 6ft above ground fence minimum. Although if they are really determined that won't stop them.

Until he settles in properly maybe consider a tie out line fixed to something solid like a concrete washing line post until he gets used to his boundaries.

As for feeding. . .  Huskies can be picky eaters, they can have sensitive stomach.

So. . . . 

What are you feeding him, How much and how many times per Day.

post-1354-0-70052200-1389473934_thumb.jp

Welcome on H-O :) his high prey drive is not a surprise at all. This breed is notorious for chasing small animals and turning a deaf ear on your frantic calls ;) 

Anyways please don't hesitate to ask us in case you have any questions :) see you on your other threads! :wave:

I've had him up the vets quite a bit as he needed to have his vaccinations all re-done, currently I have a peg from petsathome which stabs into the ground with a 4.5metre lead, I'm going to try a 2ft trellis as my other neighbours are putting up a six foot fence for him, he is on wainwrights puppy food and chicken and rice as he had a bad belly.. The vets told me to just do very slow transactions from chicken and rice to baby kibble to adult kibble and feed him 3 times a day chicken and rice when he had a bad belly but that's cleared up now so I'm back to twice a day and so far I'm as far as chicken and rice and a whole cup of baby kibble which his belly seems to be accepting so we will see :)

I've had him up the vets quite a bit as he needed to have his vaccinations all re-done, currently I have a peg from petsathome which stabs into the ground with a 4.5metre lead, I'm going to try a 2ft trellis as my other neighbours are putting up a six foot fence for him, he is on wainwrights puppy food and chicken and rice as he had a bad belly.. The vets told me to just do very slow transactions from chicken and rice to baby kibble to adult kibble and feed him 3 times a day chicken and rice when he had a bad belly but that's cleared up now so I'm back to twice a day and so far I'm as far as chicken and rice and a whole cup of baby kibble which his belly seems to be accepting so we will see :)

Wow a vet that seems to know what they are talking about with regards to nutrition, quite rare. Sounds like a keeper.

Also once his stomach has settled maybe try RAW chicken wings a couple of times per week, Yep bones and everything (available in most supermakets) as a source of protein 

Haha! yeah they are pretty good to be honest, im a bit of a "wrap him in bubble wrap" type mum so hes at the vets very often!, ill try the chicken bones, at the moment im giving him marrow bones weekly as well as dentisticks to try and build his weight up - he was down to a tiny 22kg and now hes 24.6kg so the chicken and rice ect deffo helped... i just dont know how to do his muscles and now that ive used my furminator on him he looks TINY!:(

Haha! yeah they are pretty good to be honest, im a bit of a "wrap him in bubble wrap" type mum so hes at the vets very often!, ill try the chicken bones, at the moment im giving him marrow bones weekly as well as dentisticks to try and build his weight up - he was down to a tiny 22kg and now hes 24.6kg so the chicken and rice ect deffo helped... i just dont know how to do his muscles and now that ive used my furminator on him he looks TINY! :(

If your's is like mine then dentasticks will do the opposite...give Bindi on dentastick and she has the runs for 3 days....

welcome to the pack , well done on taking him in , the muscle will build up the more he gets walked n the more good food he has (chicken wings etc) 

the age thing , just click on one it will take you to the website , just follow the instructions and then copy and paste the BBcode into the signature box in your settings on here :)

Haha! yeah they are pretty good to be honest, im a bit of a "wrap him in bubble wrap" type mum so hes at the vets very often!, ill try the chicken bones, at the moment im giving him marrow bones weekly as well as dentisticks to try and build his weight up - he was down to a tiny 22kg and now hes 24.6kg so the chicken and rice ect deffo helped... i just dont know how to do his muscles and now that ive used my furminator on him he looks TINY! :(

If he's not long blown his coat then he will look skinny even if he's a good weight

how do i get one of them age things for my husky? :D

Click on anyones Pita Pata and it will take you to the website

Where you can make your own.

Then come back for help in getting it under your posts. :)

Thanks guys!

- ICE loves his dentisticks, hes fine with them, i give him one daily and he doesnt seem to have an issue with them for the time being, for the last four or five days hes had hard poop which is very good since for three weeks beforehand he had the runs bad! - with accidents inside.

- From what i can see hes currently blowing his coat (going from the state of my blue but now white carpet)

-ill click on one now - at college using their computer as my phone is seeming useless!:P

thank you everyone:)

Okay, thank you that's great to know :) he dragged me into a river today at suttclife park so I am not happy and neither is he as he hates water, also tried feeding him just dry food with a little gravy, and chicken but he vomited and didn't go back.. Passed out on the floor now, vets tomorrow for his second vaccs but dno what's up with him - his diet is so frustrating :(

I wouldn't mind if I was prepared for it haha! Bro insisted he was his dog too haha :') little furbaby is passed out right now after dragging me through the park, into rivers and tangling me up so he could get off the lead! Now I've just realised his collar he can slip through but the next one ups too tight :'(