My Friend's Boyfriend

mydiamond

WARNING: this is a teen drama rant. Even *I* am sick of it. 

So I received a WhatsApp chat yesterday night at about 8. It was one of my best friends, saying nothing but "I need you now". But since I was watching The Voice (season six is AMAZING! Wooo!) I didn't see it until 9:30. By the time I get to my phone, all hell has broken loose. Apparently she decided to sit with her classmates at prom and therefore refused her boyfriend's offer to sit together. Her boyfriend, being the childish little b*st*rd he was born to be, got immensely offended and started to threaten my friend. I don't know what did he say, and I don't really want to know, but all I can say is; had the fight happened in the real world instead of the cyber world, it would've been bloody. The thing is, my friend is not exactly a stern person and she doesn't have the courage to tell her boyfriend she wants to split up. Reason being: she's made some great friends with her boyfriend's close friends and afraid to lose them. I became really angry when I heard her reason and told her to just spit out whatever she has in mind and break up with the little jerk. If any of his friends--who are my friends too, by the way--decides to shun her or join in the fight, I'd be more than glad to add them to my list of people that I need to beat up. Upon hearing this, she clenched her jaw, took a deep breath and texted her boyfriend what she had in mind. End of story.

But NOPE at midnight she sent another WhatsApp chat telling me that the break up conversation--if there's such thing--didn't work out and she's willing to try again with this boy. "If it falls apart once again then I'd give up". "We've been together for over a year it's not a short time...". You kidding me? So just because she's been dating for 13 months she's willing to give this little **** another chance? What will happen after their second anniversary? Wouldn't it only make her feel even more guilty to break up? :facepalm:

I don't understand some people. She's obviously not in a healthy relationship. She showed up to school with her eyes as big as a golf ball, obviously crying it out all night long. I wonder why would she be willing to cry over somebody who does not care about her?!  :angry: but yeah it's her life and not mine, so if she decided to try again it's her choice. I just wish she didn't fall to the same hole I fell into! :( 

Sigh. . . . 

'Liv you may find that when it's not YOUR heart that is breaking the issues and solutions are easy and clear cut.

When it is your heart those simple and obvious decisions are terribly difficult to make.

However being a good friend means pointing out the obvious and helping them through whatever decision they make.

Keep up the good work. 

I find it odd that she doesn't want to sit with her boyfriend at prom...I'd be offended at that too, but NOT to the point of threatening or name calling.

But as posted above, when it's your heart getting broken you only see what you want to see. You see the "love" you think is there, rather than the abuse. I was in a very abusive relationship for 6 years, everyone else saw it. I was with him from 16-22. So the relationship started around the same age that your friend seems to be now. I can relate to her. All I saw was "he's trying" "he says he loves me" "he's the one" "I've been with him this long, I don't want to throw it away" For every red flag you see she sees a million excuses to justify him and his actions. At this point the only thing you can do is be there for her and be supportive of her when she finally is able to leave and finally takes the steps she needs. It may not be for awhile, but when it comes and until that time she needs the support from her friends. Make sure you do point out that if his friends are true friends to her as well they will probably continue to be friends after the breakup. That's always a hard thing to believe and see. My ex's friends are some of my closest friends now. They saw what was really going on in the relationship, and while they are still friends with him (I'd never ask them not to be) they are super close friends of mine.

Thank you for sharing your story Amanda. Glad to hear you're now out of it. I also got tangled in an unhealthy relationship 2 years ago but I'm a very stern, almost overly rational person so it didn't last long. This girl was there for me back then so I thought she'd learn not to make my mistake, but life is not that simple. 

I don't know what made her decide not to sit with him at prom... But whatever it is, he doesn't have the right to threaten her :(