G'day From Australia

Mooseman

Howdy all,

My name's James. I live in Sydney with my fiance and I recently bought my first husky. Previously I've owned multiple German Shepherds but decided I couldn't hold off any longer.

My little fella is called Niko. Very shortly we will be buying one of his half siblings so he has a buddy in the yard whilst we are at work (my neighbour has been leaving his husky in our yard during the day and it makes the world of difference to Niko's mood when we get home)

He is extrememly energetic so I've started looking into all the urban mushing gear I need to keep him and his future buddy happy, fit and healthy.

post-11605-0-44410900-1395091742_thumb.j

post-11605-0-15907500-1395091753_thumb.j

post-11605-0-48225900-1395091761_thumb.j

Welcome.

I too have a German Shepherd (White) and the dogs are as different in temperament and nature as chalk and cheese.

Shepherds are loyal and easy to command

Huskies are willful and think about it for a bit then completely dismiss what you want and do their own thing.

Also please hold off on the mushing until the pup is at least a year old to give his bones. joints and ligaments time to mature properly

Otherwise you may risk joint and hip problems when he's older but much earlier than you would normally expect.

post-1354-0-70052200-1389473934_thumb.jp

Thanks.

Yeah I had no intention of mushing him till about 18 months. There is a bloke living close to me that owns a bunch of huskies giving me plenty of advice.

As far as the temprement goes - Niko is already showing signs of his stubborn nature. He is getting very strict training to reign him in as much as possible. I have done piles of research so I'm fully aware of what I'm getting myself into with this lad.

Tomorrow he is off for his final round of vaccinations and then 10 more days and he can begin to explore the outside world (on the end of a lead of course). He already explores his human grandparents 2 acre block every weekend and loves it.

Niko is a little ripper, Congrats. Do you mind if I ask who the breeder was? 

Actually I'm not sure of his mother's name. His mother was flown down from Queensland to breed with one of Baykalskee's male offspring. Hoping to get my second one from Sledforce. They have bred some of the best looking white Huskies I've ever seen

Actually I'm not sure of his mother's name. His mother was flown down from Queensland to breed with one of Baykalskee's male offspring. Hoping to get my second one from Sledforce. They have bred some of the best looking white Huskies I've ever seen

Those breeders you mention are good, did you get papers with your pup or are you still waiting?

I few my Puppy over from Articpower in Newcastle.

Yeah I was on the waiting list at arctic power. It would take forever to get a pup from them.

Papers came with the dog when I got him. They sent him to sydney to be sold. I found his litter being sold near my house. When I saw the papers I was amazed. He was only $1000 as we'll, about half price as opposed to direct from the breeder.

Apparently his litter was an accident

Yeah I was on the waiting list at arctic power. It would take forever to get a pup from them.

Papers came with the dog when I got him. They sent him to sydney to be sold. I found his litter being sold near my house. When I saw the papers I was amazed. He was only $1000 as we'll, about half price as opposed to direct from the breeder.

Apparently his litter was an accident

Yeah, the waiting list is pretty full-on. I was number 13 when I applied but I think the research and knowledge I had gained on this forum bumped me towards the top when I filled out the application questionnaire as I got the first choice male. No doubt the fact I work from home helped greatly when she was deciding the new homes. 

Snofall Siberians has some awesome lines and the breeder is great as well.

• 4 weeks later...