Amber Alerts

Chula

For those of you in the US...

These alerts are driving me crazy! It overrides the volume control on my phone and makes this awful blaring noise. When I'm driving it scares the crap out of me and won't shut up until I silence the blasted thing, which means I have to take my eyes off the road. It isn't safe!! I understand why they think it helps but it seems they're not really thinking about the other consequences.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I agree that the idea is very good.  I do not agree, however, that having a phone make a sudden blaring noise, quite often when someone is driving and absolutely MUST look at their phone in order to stop it is a good idea. It goes against all of the logic out there on distracted driving and accidents.

Amber Alerts are essentially "Missing Children" alerts. If a child is kidnapped, an alert goes out and is usually found on TV, internet, the programmable road signs, radio, etc. Recently they have started sending them over the mobile phone system and they override the volume controls and make a very loud noise.

Ok that they take over your phone I must agree with you there that is not the best idea in the world...

there must be something you can do in the settings???

I can turn them off entirely, but then I don't get the message. I'd like to just get the message and not the screeching noise! I approve of the idea of sending out a broadcast via cell phone, as most people have them these days. Maybe other phones have the option to have it vibrate or just send the message at the level of your message tone setting? I've got an HTC One, so it's not an old junker phone.

I also think it's going to backfire, and people are going to opt out of receiving them because the noise is so dreadful.

Edited by Chula

I get them, but there's no blaring alert sound.  I get a text message, with a simple alert sound.  Can you not make a setting change on your phone?