Nice Home And Huskies, Do They Go Together?

Clare70

I've never been one for a 'show house' would much rather live in a place that feels homely, but since having the pooches it seems I spend most of my time hoovering up hair or washing muddy paw prints off the floor.

We live on a disused farm which needs a lot of work but all that seems to have gone on hold since getting Harry last summer and now we have the addition of Snowy.

No matter how much I dry the dogs off I still manage to find shaken muddy water up walls, skirting boards and walls, my clothes are covered in dog hair, my clean laundry is covered in dog hair. I have sacks of dog food in some rooms and dog bowls, toys, leads and brushes in others. 

I really can't ever see me having my 'dream' home without it being huskied in some way.

So my question is do any of you have nice homes and if so how do you manage it?

:)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahahaha :) I have only one and there is ALWAYS dirt and mud and hair everywhere. I do clean an awful lot, but with the dog up on the furniture or zooming across the hardwoods, I just gave up. We have a relatively clean house given a very active dog living in it (though the other half would rather it be cleaner), but I would never try to have a white sofa or an expensive rug. We both work full time outside the house as well.

Jason's house always looks perfect though! I think I can even see vacuum lines in every one of his pictures ;)

We have always had a very clean and tidy home, (pre and post children!), but our 4 dogs do require a certain amount of 'cleaning up' although this is mostly to try and capture some, (not all), of the fur, (our Labradoodle drops as much hair as the Husky's)!

We used to have a number of cats and they totally destroyed the decoration and carpets, upstairs, and the dogs have never caused any such damage!

We are currently attempting to sell our house, (hoping to move to a more rural setting with a much larger Husky 'playground'), so we are currently cleaning up each and every hour of the day!

Yes I clean ALOT!! After walks I wash the dogs paws off,I vacuum and dust every day and usually deep clean one room every Saturday. It helped that my house was only about 5 years old when I bought it and well maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OMG it's SO hard to keep a clean house with huskies!  It feels like continual vacuuming.

We used to have all laminate flooring downstairs in our house (the doggies aren't allowed upstairs EVER!) but that was horrific because the fluff would float around the rooms and there would be massive furballs underneath the furniture.

So we carpeted and at least it keeps it all stuck in one place to it's easier to whip the hoover round 2 or 3 times per day without having to move sofa's/ tv's/ cupboards etc etc

.......but then the coat blowing starts....... :angry:

I consider our home to be a nice home, although I certainly wouldn't claim it as a "show home". We have a mud room which is where the dog's crates are at. When it is muddy or wet, the dogs are allowed into the mudroom until they are dry and their feet are clean. After they are dry and feet are cleaned (I often have to towel them off) they are allowed into the living room. My dogs are not allowed onto furniture, nor do they have free reign of the entire house. They have never been allowed onto the furniture, so it is not an issue in our home. In the living room they have their dog pad and a entrance rug, and if they are damp, they have to remain on the pad or the rug. If they are dry and clean they are allowed onto the carpet. They have been taught since they were puppies that inside the house is "calm" time - they spend their time lying on the pad or the carpet resting.  They get walked, run, or worked every morning and every night without fail, So this really has never been an issue. During the day if we are gone, they spend their time in a custom built 14'x8'x7' kennel run with a roof and at night they sleep in their crates. If we are home they are with us outside doing chores or hanging out in the living room. Like everyone, we have lots of vacuuming we do, regardless of how often they are bathed or brushed, there is always dog hair around, and fairly regularly we have to do some major cleaning in the mud room of walls and floor, but that is about it. I think it is just a difference in the philosophy of what it means to have a dog in the house. If I want to pet or interact with the dogs, I generally move into their space on the floor. If they want attention or need something, like to go out or the water bowl needs refilled, they come and sit at my feet until I get up and give them what they need. 

RandyLovingonTayga14March2014_zps81552fb

RandyshowingMystandTaygasomeLove14March2

We always said we were gonna keep her off our furniture, but I love the cuddles too much :)

It is hard to resist isn't? I just go to the floor for mine ;).

I leave just enough husky hair about to keep the mother-in-law away! Works for ME!!!!

Now that is a good reason to leave the hair around LOL ;).

Loving all of your comments :)

I think it feels worse because my house is a bit of a building site and we are confined to quite a small living space so having 2 dogs just compounds that.  My house was a tip before we had the dogs, it's just a muddier one now :)

The dogs get a free run of the house, though we only live on the ground level at the moment and neither dog likes stairs :) so can't wait until my bedroom is done :) They are allowed on the furniture but only if they're dry but to be honest Harry prefers to be in the conservatory on his own (get some time out from Snowy) :)  They are not allowed to play rough in doors, we just don't have the space at the moment, but their conservatory is 26m squared, so I hope plenty big enough.

I think once the building work is done I won't feel so bad, just at the moment feel a bit down beat.

Oh and by the way, I only vaccum once a day ;)

We have laminate floors and live in what is basically a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment in the basement of a house so we sweep and mop once a week or more depending on how much Champ is shedding.  Right now with his coat starting to blow we sweep and mop every other day to try and keep the amount of fur balls down.  Since there's carpet on the stairs we don't have a problem with muddy paw prints and we just wipe up any mess he makes with paper towels.  I wouldn't call it a show house by any means but a lived in house is much more comfy for us, it's not dirty but it's not super clean either lol

Loving all of your comments :)

I think it feels worse because my house is a bit of a building site and we are confined to quite a small living space so having 2 dogs just compounds that.  My house was a tip before we had the dogs, it's just a muddier one now :)

The dogs get a free run of the house, though we only live on the ground level at the moment and neither dog likes stairs :) so can't wait until my bedroom is done :) They are allowed on the furniture but only if they're dry but to be honest Harry prefers to be in the conservatory on his own (get some time out from Snowy) :)  They are not allowed to play rough in doors, we just don't have the space at the moment, but their conservatory is 26m squared, so I hope plenty big enough.

I think once the building work is done I won't feel so bad, just at the moment feel a bit down beat.

Oh and by the way, I only vaccum once a day ;)

Construction definitely adds to the issue. Our home was a full scale fixer-upper when we purchased with three bedrooms, but we purchased for the potential since we had five children. It is still not finished, but now has concrete in the basement (which was gravel when we moved in) and three additional bedrooms down there. The mudroom is an addition to the original home with unfinished walls and bare concrete walls at this point (Hoping to finish it up this summer - although I've been saying that for the last two). Working on my Master's program has really thrown a kink in getting the house finished. Now that the children are all grown and moved out, we would like to complete all the finish work (which never quite seemed to get done once the rooms were usable), and maybe move into a smaller house. Course we have done so much work and improved this one so much it is hard to let it go LOL.

Construction definitely adds to the issue. Our home was a full scale fixer-upper when we purchased with three bedrooms, but we purchased for the potential since we had five children. It is still not finished, but now has concrete in the basement (which was gravel when we moved in) and three additional bedrooms down there. The mudroom is an addition to the original home with unfinished walls and bare concrete walls at this point (Hoping to finish it up this summer - although I've been saying that for the last two). Working on my Master's program has really thrown a kink in getting the house finished. Now that the children are all grown and moved out, we would like to complete all the finish work (which never quite seemed to get done once the rooms were usable), and maybe move into a smaller house. Course we have done so much work and improved this one so much it is hard to let it go LOL.

I know the feeling, we bought ours 9 years ago but with OH having to work overseas to pay for it building work has been slow :( Now of course the kids are grown up, eldest in second year of uni, so never here, eldest son at college for 12 hours a day so rarely here, you beging to wonder why you are enduring the building site :(

I love where we live, could knock the house down, live in a tent and look at the views :)  But I know what you mean, you get attached and whilst it's still a crap hole, it's my crap hole and one day I hope it will be just as I want it :)

Despite my wanting to be as disciplined as Randy, (several posts earlier), I also 'relented' and allowed all of the dogs access to the furniture, (there goes Husky rule number 4)!

I was interested to read the comment about hard wood floors not being easy to keep clean as this is a very 'topical' subject, currently, as we are looking at a bungalow with wood flooring, (but with large rugs in the centre of each room), andcwe thought that this would be easier to keep clean!

What's a clean tidy house again??

I'm not house proud. I don't care. I'd rather spend time with the dogs and kids that spend my time cleaning. All too soon the kids will be grown up and the dogs won't be here anymore and I suspect I'll be openin bags of husky hair just to make the house seem normal again.

I do the bare minimum. That's it :)

Despite my wanting to be as disciplined as Randy, (several posts earlier), I also 'relented' and allowed all of the dogs access to the furniture, (there goes Husky rule number 4)!

I was interested to read the comment about hard wood floors not being easy to keep clean as this is a very 'topical' subject, currently, as we are looking at a bungalow with wood flooring, (but with large rugs in the centre of each room), andcwe thought that this would be easier to keep clean!

We have tiled floors (French don't really do carpets) and it has its good and bad points. Spillages are easy to clean up, dog wee and poo easy to clean (when they have an accident) don't generally need replacing.  Dog hair floats everywhere and the sound of pitter patter feet when zooming is quite loud, plus dogs tend to skid on the tiled flooring, so would imagine the same for wood flooring.

Hope this helps :)

We did the 'no furniture' thing, but went out the window a while ago. To be honest the dogs don't really try to get on the sofa, seems they only want to do it when they aren't alllowed :)

My place tends to be tidy one day per week. Saturday

and clean tends to be a relative term depending on the weather.

(muddy footprints from the garden etc.)

The rest of the week I'm working 12 hour days.

and you'd be surprised how many other things get in the way of the saturday clean and tidy too.

So clean, tidy &, houseproud with Huskies.

Not a hope in hells chance. :P

What's a clean tidy house again??

I'm not house proud. I don't care. I'd rather spend time with the dogs and kids that spend my time cleaning. All too soon the kids will be grown up and the dogs won't be here anymore and I suspect I'll be openin bags of husky hair just to make the house seem normal again.

I do the bare minimum. That's it :)

I smiled when I read this.............Our home was without husky for a period of 6 months after my first husky passed. Marc and Sara kindly sent me a package of husky fur so I could do just that! 

I smiled when I read this.............Our home was without husky for a period of 6 months after my first husky passed. Marc and Sara kindly sent me a package of husky fur so I could do just that!

I'm perfectly normal then :) x