Oral Flea Treatments?

Barkers23

anyone ever used an oral flea treatment (tablets) as opposed to the spot on treatments you squirt on to the skin at the base of the neck?

i really struggle to part the puppys hairs enough, coupled with her wriggling like hell to actually get the treatment directly on to her skin.  usually ends up with her fur soaking it up.

heard the flea treatment was available in tablet form from a friend.  although they are more expensive it seems they sure would be easier to use.

are they any good though?

I'd be interested to know about this too as it stains the back of Skye's neck and looks horrible, what brand are you thinking of Gareth?

no one in particular to be honest.  was looking for opinions ha.

a guy i bump into every now and then on walks said he has used one on his labs but i cant remember the name at all.

capstar and program are the two brands that pop up in most searches ive tried.

We used to give ours Trifexis, which was a tablet for heartworm and fleas, but the could not keep it down and it had a terrible chemical odor when it came back up. Frontline now has a pill form, and will give that a try when our current supply of the liquid form is gone.

My vet recommended Panoramis (Trifexis in USA) I think it is an excellent product but expensive. I don't like the ones you squeeze onto the skin as Ronin loves the water and they can wash off. As Mazz says it treats heartworm - along with fleas, flea allergy dermatitis,  roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.

I've used Comfortis with very good success in the past.  Immediately after dosing (within minutes) there'll be quite a bit of activity by any existing fleas but it starts killing them within 30 minutes.

It is only a flea preventative, nothing in it for heartworms or ticks - but it is very! effective - although a bit on the pricey side.

If you do a search on the forum for Comfortis there's about a page of results.

My reference to "in the past" is because where I'm living now we have no fleas and only a small tick for about a month during the early spring.  If I ever need to use a flea preventative again, I'll be going back to Comfortis. 

Memory - which is always <shoot, I forgot the word!> - told me that there were some known problems with Comfortis.  I never encountered any, but in dogs with pre-existing liver problems it tends to raise the ALT <don't ask, *I* don't know> and dogs with epilepsy seem to enhance the seizures.

Of course, as with all drugs - do your own investigation.

Edited by Al Jones

I used Comfortis too before (but it was very expensive when I bought it at the vet's)  I wasn't too fond of it because the pill was HUGEE.  Thankfully Jelly would eat it.  It also works as a flea prevention so that's why it's more expensive

I bought Capstar which iirc was a bit cheaper.  The pill is a lot smaller and all I had to do was put it in her mouth and keep it closed for a few seconds.  This one only kills adult fleas and not larvae and eggs.

^ Jelly's breeder uses this on her furbabies

I can't tell you how effective it is because I've never seen a flea on Jelly and only used 1 Capstar pill so far but I don't have any results to report lol.