Hello From North Carolina

vkcich

Hello!! My name is Kendra and I'm very new to both huskies and having my own puppy. I am so excited to have found such an educated and encouraging community!! 

This is Perrin, who is almost nine weeks old. He's very rambunctious and super inquisitive and absolutely loves children and cats - sometimes loves my cats a little too much with his teeth. I have a ton of questions and am trying to educate myself the best I can with a variety of different ways, but sometimes books/videos/advice need to come from different sources and what works for some owners don't work for others!! I work from home and give him pretty much all of my time and attention; he likes to curl up with me on the couch while I work from my computer or watch some HBO (literally, he'll watch a whole episode of Girls with me). He's definitely a cuddler and is friendly, but we're working extra-hard on bite inhibition; he was weaned early and fast and didn't get as much time with his litter mates as he deserved.

For training, my only experience was with three Belgian Turvs, two for show and one that was working. Their puppy-hood was vastly different than Perrin's thus far (and also came from reputable breeders that bred for agility). They caught on quicker to things than Perrin does, but not because they're more intelligent or anything; Perrin simply demonstrates some of the famous husky stubbornness when asked to do things more than once. I know he understands (he learned sit in a single session at six weeks) - he just doesn't always want to do it!! He's not very toy-oriented (he'd rather chew on a hand) and that's why I'm working extra-hard on bite inhibition. He goes from zero to a hundred with nothing in-between. I'm in desperate need of advice over this! I do the substitution method with toys, I do the yelp method with an ignore, and I do a brief time-out in his room, but I have yet to see any real progress though I know it's only been a few weeks.

Thanks for providing such a great source for owners! 

post-11624-0-53328700-1395491681.jpgpost-11624-0-43507700-1395491669_thumb.j(my husband xD)post-11624-0-16205100-1395491663_thumb.j

Welcome :D!

The key is to be consistent.  Even more so since we have huskies lol.

When mine was a pup and bit my hands I would practically yelp EXTREMELY loud. Practically a scream...  She would get so startled that she'd stop. 

Or I would just immediately disengage play and lay on the couch with my back facing her  (She's not allowed on furniture so her pestering me much wasn't an issue)

^ But most of the time I do both.  I make it a HUGE deal when she nips me..

Just pick a method and stick to it.  

Also when you're playing with him treat  and/or praise him loads when he's not going after your hand.  He'll learn that not only do you ignore him when he nips you, but he gets nomnoms and attention when he's NOT nipping you.

:D.  

@Tatipu: Thanks for the advice!!! I already feel like I understand him so much more now. I started yelping when he bites really hard instead of every single time he bites and now he mostly mouths my hand unless he's really, really excited. I'm hoping that being consistent with this will help his nipping!! I also started praising more for play time with toys, like when he brings something to me. He gets the best praise when he brings me a toy, drops it for me, takes a treat, then engages in safe play. 

@Tatipu: Thanks for the advice!!! I already feel like I understand him so much more now. I started yelping when he bites really hard instead of every single time he bites and now he mostly mouths my hand unless he's really, really excited. I'm hoping that being consistent with this will help his nipping!! I also started praising more for play time with toys, like when he brings something to me. He gets the best praise when he brings me a toy, drops it for me, takes a treat, then engages in safe play. 

I read your other thread with more detail :) I think you're on the right track really all you need now is patience and perseverance. There might be days when you believe your method is not working at all, but really it IS working. You'll soon see :D

@mydiamond

Thank you!! I'll definitely keep those two words - patience and perseverance - in mind!! Perrin and I had such a good day yesterday and seemed to do so much better together. I'm sure I'm acting more confident with my actions after all this advice and he seemed to be understanding what I want so much more. I'm also getting a lot more eye contact from him which is also excellent!!

Hello and welcome to the forum!  He is a cutie!!  Sounds like you are on the right track :)  I know it seems like they will never stop biting but they will lol.  

Oh, and I love that show! lol

Welcome aboard!

Great to see that he is already interested in TV, (our Labradoodle will always stay glued to the TV if the program is about animals)!

Our latest arrival, (Skye - 8 months), is also very keen on playing with our cat and she can be a tad rough at times.

I allow them to interact, (under my strict supervision), so that Skye accepts 'Tiger' as a member of the pack, (all of our other dogs have already done so)!

Lots of patience and positive reassurance will result in a life long companion that you will not want to be separated from.

Take care.

• 3 weeks later...