Going Up And Down Stairs

vkcich

Hello, all!

I have a question regarding what age should the puppy be allowed to go up and down stairs. It seems like 50% of general advice says a large breed puppy shouldn't go up and down long flights of stairs until 12mo due to joint growth. Others seem to disregard this. I have not been allowing my puppy on the second floor (also the cat territory) and though he wants to be upstairs with me when I make laundry runs or bathe, he doesn't push too hard to follow (we have a gate).

Any advice?

Wherever possible try not to allow them to climb stairs until 12 months or more.

For the aforementioned joint issues.

However actually stopping them is another matter.

Stairgates at the bottom of the stairs is a great way to keep them downstairs.

Awesome!! Then I'll definitely continue with what we've been doing. I had a simply puppy gate at the bottom and he climbed it like a cat xD. Now I have it on the first step and angled outward and haven't had a problem since!! He also hasn't tried to climb ever since the one time. I keep all the doors closed except the kitty one so it was probably pretty boring up there!!

Thanks for the advice!