Myshka's Being Sick

Val (Zebedee)

Myshka has been sick since last night. Our foster dog went out for a poop in the garden & I noticed a fair amount of bright red blood, so all the dogs were on lock down & I took Guyga to the vets. They had a look, but couldn't find anything internal e.g. blockage & gave me meds saying it is colitis.

I brought him back home, no food for 24 hrs so he went outside while I fed Kaviq & Myshka. Myshka left her tea, which isn't unusual for her from time to time so wasn't overly concerned until she started bringing up bile. Then she was restless & wandered round & round for a while before laying down, getting up 10 mins later to go out & bring more bile up. 

I left her with lots of fresh water & sat up with her till 1am when she seemed to settle & stop being sick. She started whimpering & crying around 3am, so I came down, let her out where she had a wee & "normal" poop but there was 2 pools of clear bile in her crate (I left her out on the sofa as she will very rarely touch anything of a night time) but she obviously felt that's where she wanted to get rid  :(  She sat in the garden for around 20 mins, then trotted back in & lay back on the sofa. I went back to bed & she slept till half six when she started again, so I have been up with her since then.

She had eaten nothing all morning & the sickness stopped. I bought ginger biscuits & apple juice as this would line her stomach & give her a bit of energy - she kept this down for a while but brought a little bit up after around 4 hrs. As she hadn't eaten for almost 36 hrs when I made their tea, I boiled rice (for her & Guyga) but she has brought all this up after around an hour.

In herself, she is absolutely fine. Not lethargic, joins in every now & again when the boys are play fighting, pees ok - no crying all day, no tenderness on her tummy when I check her, so I'm a bit stumped. I will leave food again overnight & see how she s tomorrow; if no better, a trip to the vet may be in order  :huh:

It can take a whiile for the stomach to settle back down again, just a plain bland diet of boiled rice and chicken is usually the way to go as you know. :) 

I haven't heard of giving ginger biscuits and apple juice before, I'll be honest with you apple juice is quite acidic which might be why she was sick again as it isn't likely to be too gentle on a irritated and weakened stomach lining.  Will keep my fingers crossed for you, hope you all get a better nights sleep tonight. xxx  

I'm waffling now because I'm tired too but I will say that the vets in my area do seem to have a habit of diagnosing either colitis or HGE when they see blood in poop with no obvious other cause, of course sometimes they're right but one time they told me Ice didn't have an obstruction and diagnosed HGE instead. Bearing in mind I saw 3 different vets about this and not one of them thought it was an obstruction........Almost two weeks later and he pooped out a very large obstruction (blue roll).  Was very frustrating at the time as I kept telling them he was a hoover but they said he wasn't in enough pain?!   Well apparantly he was but was too weak to protest, poor sod.  I was going somewhere with this but for the life of me I can't remember what it was!  Think that's my cue to go to bed.  Take care Val. xxxx

Sorry to hear of this :(  Slippery Elm is known as an effective treatment for Colitis. It will create a barrier to soothe irritations from the bile etc

Gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD), Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome, Diarrhoea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome ,Colitis and diverticulitis,Inflammation anywhere in the gut, Colic, Indigestion or acid 'reflux' , Ulcers (stomach & intestines) can all be treated with Slippery Elm.

Sorry to read she has been poorly, how is she now? How are you after your eventful night?

I agree with Emma about apple juice, only have to give Harry a piece of apple and it seems to upset his tummy.  What about a little bit of natural yogurt, is supposed to be soothing and puts something into the gut, giving it a bit of a coating.

May have to use this myself this morning as Harrys decided he doesn't want to eat today :(

Sorry to here that Myshka is so ill Val. As Clare has suggested, try some natural yoghurt to line the stomach. I personally have never heard of using ginger biscuits and apple juice but, as Emma says, I would have thought that would cause even more problems as it's acidic. Good luck and I hope she gets better soon and you get some sleep. ;)

Gary.

well, Myshka is finally back to normal. She has started eating AND keeping it down. I was worried even up to Sunday as, although she had stopped the whimpering & crying & wanting a cuddle (which most definitely NOT Myshka!) she was still bringing up the rice & boiled chicken.

So another 24 hrs of starving her then start again and she ate yesterday & kept it down, although she was just pooping beige water but I was so happy the food stayed down. She was back on watered down apple juice (a sugar burst to keep energy levels up while rehydrating her) half a ginger biscuit & after she kept that down for a few hours, I gave her some boiled rice & chicken - that too stayed down so today she has been back on kibble & raw egg & that went down a treat so thankfully, she is back to being the narky old witch we know & love  :P

Thanks for all your wishes, they have worked wonders xx