New Husky Puppy- Question

Sashagirl

Hello! I am new to the forum, and new to Husky's. I have had dogs my entire life, but never a Husky. We got her yesterday, she is 11 weeks old. Has had one shot series. When we picked her up from the breeder, he told me that they usually have the runs for a day or two after leaving for their new home.

I found it odd that he mentioned that, unless...it is a trait? I've had puppies and know dogs pretty well. My whole family has dogs and we love them. I have never seen this really, when bringing an 11 week old puppy home. She pees and does #2 (pretty loose, tiny bits of mucus) very very often... EVERYTIME I take her out of the crate. I cannot let her run around at all right now inside the house. She seems very healthy and has a normal puppy appetite.

Any input is appreciated. If I can figure out how to post a picture here, I will include one in the post. Thank you! Have a great day everyone!

post-11633-0-91625000-1395744771_thumb.j

welcome to the pack , it is very common for huskies to be 'loose' when they are first home , as they are unsettled from being moved from their family 

shes still young so still has a small bladder so will need to go to the toilet often , straight after eating , drinking , sleeping playing etc and then atleast every hour or so aswell , keeping her crated wont help her learn 

shes beautiful btw

Welcome :D

Even something as simple as the change in the water can cause the runs.

Also new owners tend to change the food they are on from whatever the breeder used to something (ahem) better.

However you need to change over slowly.

Also don't go by the amounts on the back of the food bag Huskies generally eat less.

As NIx says also the change from being with mum and litter mates to a new house and strange people can cause stress and so cause stomach upset.

Don't worry it'll soon settle down.

I came on this forum when My (then) new pup Daughtry had the runs

I'm still here 4 years later.

Good luck

My baby dog Skye is about 12 weeks old and we have an issue with a runny tummy, i have sought much advise from the wonderful people on this forum and there is so many different options and things to try. we are working through a couple of options;

1. raw chicken wings

2. slippery elm

Chicken wings are working well, whilst i hated the idea of giving her anything raw it really has helped. we haven't tried the slippery elm yet though....

Edited by ginger38

Hello :)

How long have you had her? and how often are you feeding her?

Huskies have ultra sensitive tummies and the slightest thing can upset them, even when they are adult dogs.  If mine decides to skip breakfast he is usually sick later in the day, causing me concern :(  He will do this every couple of weeks and I've had to learn to not panic and just accept it's a husky thing.

Good luck :)

Thank you for the warm welcomes and for the replies. Took her to the vet today and she has coccidiosis..coccidia. On meds now. Never had a dog with this before. Hoping my other dog Doesn't get it also. Does anyone have any experience with this parasite? Ugh!

I did ask. She can catch it, but if I pick up the poo and throw it in trash it will help. The problem is that it's hard to shovel it all up when it's so loose. I'm trying to get it all, but the previous days were left in the yard. Haven't found it all lol. Doing what I can, so just hoping it will work.

Get a good yard cleaner, we have Jayes Fluid here which is great and i've become quite OCD about cleaning and hosing down lol

I do a proper clean on a weekend with the Jayes and a jet washer and then normal hose straight away if she has a loose one just to get rid of the mess before the big clean up.

If you're battling a bit of a bug at the moment it might be a good idea to do a proper clean everyday til she's better to prevent your other dog from catching anything?

Hope she gets better soon  :)

Edited by ginger38