I'm Tired. No Multiple Dog Household For Me!

Chula

I don't know how you guys do it. This is really exhausting! Trying to manage two very different dog personalities, monitoring play and feedings, trying to maintain consistency in training when one dog is jealous, tandem walks where one wants to hump the other the entire time, keeping them from talking to each other at night...it's hard!

Does it get easier? It's only been four days, but it has really convinced me that we are a one dog household. Chula likes having someone to play with but I think her jealousy stresses her out a lot. I don't think she really wants to share her house. I think she enjoys occasional visitors during the day but would generally prefer to be the only dog of the household.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Jolene is really needy as far as people go. She won't go outside on her own and honestly isn't very well trained. Chula is naughty too, but she knows when to "leave it", to sit at doors, to go to her bed and stay there, etc. But because Jolene doesn't know these things, Chula gets jealous and her training goes out the window because she thinks Jolene might be getting something good by not following the rules. It's hard to make a dog follow your rules when they don't know them!

I'm ready for the week to be over!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We acquired Skye, (3 months rescue with THREE previous owners), two days before Christmas and it has been a very trying three months but things are now improving and I know that she will become just as amazing and we'll behaved as our other dogs - subject to continued training and positive reinforcement.

Lots of hard work however.

I actually found that it was easier once I got Yukon. And getting Kodiak wasn't much different but I think it matters on their personalities. Like it was said it might be easier with a younger dog with similar energy levels and one you can train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Could be, even though it might be easier with a different dog at least you have an idea of what it would be like. If your unsure then I'd say don't get a second now. Maybe when Chula is older and more calm it might be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I know I'm just whining, it isn't really that terrible, it's just new and annoying. The worst part is that they will NOT go to the bathroom when they are outside together! I have to take them individually into the yard. If they are out there together, Chula will stand at the bottom of the steps with her tongue hanging out and her tail wagging furiously, waiting for Jolene to come down and PLAY, while Jolene stands at the top of the steps, waiting for Chula to walk away so that she can go pee in peace! And if I put Chula outside by herself, she stands at the door whining because she knows Jolene is inside. If I put Jolene outside by herself, I have to stand out there with her because she doesn't like to be in the yard alone.

It's like this EVERY SINGLE TIME they are outside together. Chula is NEVER tired. I mean, truly never too tired to play.

Though I do think that as much as the other half despises all the husky hair, he hates the barking worse...so maybe it helped convince him that if we ever do get a second it will be a husky. :)

I took them both to their respective doggy daycares this morning, so hopefully they will both be exhausted this evening and give us a little bit of quiet!

Edited by Chula

There's a good reason why I prefer huskies over other breeds... and that's mostly because they're generally quiet dogs. I'd be stressed if I have a barker in my home for one whole week as well :huh: hang in there Emily x

try having one for 11years , Bings just doesn't really shut up lol

Lol, a lot of the things you're describing is exactly what we found with Bear and Ice.  Wanting to play all night, not going to the toilet because they're too busy playing, getting jealous, harder to keep up training etc....  Eventually it does settle down into a routine, you just have to grab hold of something and weather the storm in the meantime, lol.

I never realized how stressful barking is, since I never had dogs before Chula! I am so glad she's quiet. If she's had a good walk and it's nice out, she will sit in the yard quietly by herself for 4-5 hours without making a single noise. I'm sure my neighbors are like "What the heck is going on over there!?!?!" I should take them cookies. They have a little baby, I hope Jolene isn't waking her.

I never realized how stressful barking is, since I never had dogs before Chula! I am so glad she's quiet. If she's had a good walk and it's nice out, she will sit in the yard quietly by herself for 4-5 hours without making a single noise. I'm sure my neighbors are like "What the heck is going on over there!?!?!" I should take them cookies. They have a little baby, I hope Jolene isn't waking her.

Aww that's very kind of you, wish you were my neighbour I'd love some cookies!  lol.   My Brooke can bark for England!  Honestly, I have two big dogs who you barely know are there most of the time but the little dog makes enough noise for all 3 of them sometimes! :rofl:  It really is so much easier with your own dog, you know their triggers and have complete control over their training.  :)

Nikko will bark when he is excited and wants to play.  But I really love it when he starts his talking!  He sounds just like  that talking husky that says I love you!  But I really don't like barking at all.  My neighbor dogs bark ALL the time!  She has a pit and a great dane and every time I walk by they bark.  The previous neighbors had little yappy dogs and they were even worse!  When my dogs go outside they just stare at the fence and won't make a peep while their dogs go crazy

I know I'm just whining, it isn't really that terrible, it's just new and annoying. The worst part is that they will NOT go to the bathroom when they are outside together! I have to take them individually into the yard. If they are out there together, Chula will stand at the bottom of the steps with her tongue hanging out and her tail wagging furiously, waiting for Jolene to come down and PLAY, while Jolene stands at the top of the steps, waiting for Chula to walk away so that she can go pee in peace! And if I put Chula outside by herself, she stands at the door whining because she knows Jolene is inside. If I put Jolene outside by herself, I have to stand out there with her because she doesn't like to be in the yard alone.

It's like this EVERY SINGLE TIME they are outside together. Chula is NEVER tired. I mean, truly never too tired to play.

Though I do think that as much as the other half despises all the husky hair, he hates the barking worse...so maybe it helped convince him that if we ever do get a second it will be a husky. :)

I took them both to their respective doggy daycares this morning, so hopefully they will both be exhausted this evening and give us a little bit of quiet!

Lol story of my life here. My dogs always wanna play play play when we get out, and since they're on leash since I don't have a yard, they get incredibly tangled within 2 seconds of getting out there. So I have to take them outside individually for potty breaks. So I'm usually taking dogs out 12-15x a day. As far as dealing with them normally.. well luckily all mine are pretty mellow inside so no issues there lol

I used to have a little Jack Russel next door that Yapped ALL day and most of the night too.. That was horrendous.  Skye isn't a barker thank goodness, she will moan and grumble at times  but not bark. Louie, does bark when he hears something he thinks shouldn't be there , but in all honesty his bark is a very deep throated  one, and isn't unpleasant at all. It makes him sound much bigger than he is .   Hang in there Emily  the week will soon be over  :)

Lol, a lot of the things you're describing is exactly what we found with Bear and Ice.  Wanting to play all night, not going to the toilet because they're too busy playing, getting jealous, harder to keep up training etc....  Eventually it does settle down into a routine, you just have to grab hold of something and weather the storm in the meantime, lol.

It does settle down eventually. We got our 2 about 6 months apart and they took a couple of months to figure out how to behave around each other. For the first week all they wanted to do was play... All day every day! It was tiring!!

Don't forget they have to figure out who's going to be the boss too....thats another world of complication with different feeding locations, toilet locations, who's going to pull the most to get in front on a walk etc etc. Multiple-huskying is no easy task. Keep at it and grit your teeth...you'll be fine!

Luckily, I'm just dog sitting for the week. This one goes home! And she's a border collie cross of some kind, probably with some beagle (which explains the occasional baying!) and she only wants to chase, doesn't like being chased AT ALL.

It does settle down eventually. We got our 2 about 6 months apart and they took a couple of months to figure out how to behave around each other. For the first week all they wanted to do was play... All day every day! It was tiring!!

Don't forget they have to figure out who's going to be the boss too....thats another world of complication with different feeding locations, toilet locations, who's going to pull the most to get in front on a walk etc etc. Multiple-huskying is no easy task. Keep at it and grit your teeth...you'll be fine!

I just looked at her activity tracker on her GPS unit and her activity level on Saturday when Jolene came over was 900 points. Her average is like 420! Even daycare days it's only around 650 and she's knackered. She was crazy on Saturday!

The GPS has an activity tracker???  How neat!  I bet Yukon's would be about 2 :lol:

I just looked at her activity tracker on her GPS unit and her activity level on Saturday when Jolene came over was 900 points. Her average is like 420! Even daycare days it's only around 650 and she's knackered. She was crazy on Saturday!