Water Loving Pup

Mav & Zeuss

G'day all,

Our 9 week old pup Zeuss,post-11649-0-49768000-1395969256_thumb.j has made a habbit of putting his front legs in his water bowl whilst having a drink.

We have established that he doesnt mind water which we think is very positive.

It is not all the time that he does this but is around 3-4 times a day, then runs water through his area and the house after doing so.

The humourous side of this is that he will attempt to take a corner too sharply at pace on the timber floor, having a bit of a crash as a result which gets us giggling.

We started to think it was his way of cooling down, due to us being in a warmer climate. We have a rotation of frozen water bottles 24/7 that he can cuddle up to, in order to keep him cool. However this still isn't fixing it.

Is this a common habbit with other huskies elsewhere? For us this isnt a favourable thing for him to be doing all the time, in turn is there any tips / ideas to stop him doing so? I have tried rewarding him when he doesnt stick his feet in and have been stern with him when i see him do it. I do not want to punish him when he does this, incase he gets mixed signals about actually having a drink of water...

Suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

Hi Zeuss is beautiful!

My girl loves putting her paws in the water (my cat does this as well) she's a water baby until it comes to a bath I don't stop her playing In her water though she loves it, its play time to her I just wipe her paws and body dry before she comes in the house.

Not much help in suggestions though as it doesn't really bother me when any of my lot do it.

Hope you find a way around it :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My 2 are a bit older and the climate is a bit cooler but they still do this at least once a week with their outside water bowl normally when it has just been refilled,,,,, :)

Hello :)

We have  our water bowls in high feeders making it difficult for the dogs to put their feet in the bowls.  However Harry will stick his whole face in the water and throw it up (a bit like an elephant would with its trunk) :)

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do about it, remember they aren't doing  it to annoy you, just either having a bit of fun or cooling down.  Either way I'd rather them do that than be distructive else where.

Maybe someone else here will have a suggestion for you.  good luck :)

It's very common husky behavior lol.  

A lot of people think it's disgusting that Jelly is putting dirt into the water and "infecting the water with bacteria"

But people.. it's a dog.. they eat dirt, poo, grass, etc.  Get over it lol.

She does it only at parks where there really isn't much shade so she uses it to cool down. 

As for at home, we have the elevated bowls too and raise it high enough so she can eat but not comfortably put her paws in (though she's never put her paws in at home before)

I would suggest buying one of those elevated tables that are adjustable (you can raise it as they get older)  they aren't that expensive. 

But keep in mind that it is typical husky behavior.  All the huskies in my area are complete water dogs so they all love to jump in the pond lol.

has that helped at all? I'm thinkin Skyla would probably still find a way to kick it over lol

Yes it has helped. She will dip a paw in and play with it sometimes still but no standing in it. It's still comical because the new one that stands up off the ground has 2 bowls and the dogs refuse to drink out of the bowl on the left side. Lol. Surprisingly they have never knocked it over either. Here is what ours looks like.

post-9275-0-09983600-1396327489_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it has helped. She will dip a paw in and play with it sometimes still but no standing in it. It's still comical because the new one that stands up off the ground has 2 bowls and the dogs refuse to drink out of the bowl on the left side. Lol. Surprisingly they have never knocked it over either. Here is what ours looks like.

Thanks all for your input. It was interesting to see that it was common behaviour. Nikki thats a great idea with the elevated water bowl platform. Zeuss hasn't been doing it as frequently in the last week, so i'm thinking it could be due to the weather getting a bit cooler. Might look into doing something like that to keep the bowls off the ground anyway.