Me And Jake

roadkilltx

Just wanted to introduce Jake and myself. So my neighbor 2 doors down bought a husky puppy 5 years ago. Always thought he was a beautiful dog. Well the husband transferred out of state and the wife just joined him. She knocked on our door knowing we were dog people (rottie and old, old boxer). After a lot of pleading, and finally, as my mom would say, having a wall eyed hissey my wife agreed to let Jake stay.. I did not do any research on huskys, but being an experienced dog owner I was not concerned. HOLY CRAP. I have never experienced anything like this. He ate my motorcycle gloves and threw up fingers for 2 days. I cook bacon on the grill outside in a large cast iron skillet. Set the skillet full of bacon grease on another grill after it cooled. Turned around and within seconds it was gone. We later had to air out the house, didn't set well on his tummy. Counter surfs to no end. Got out once and caught him by luck.

Other side. Most lovable dog ever. My very alpha rottie try's to bully him. Jake totally blows him off as in "WHAT EVER". My wife who did not want a 3rd dog was spoon feeding him dog food because he wouldn't eat. He sleeps on her couch while the other 2 are looking up from the floor like "What the heck". They have never been allowed on the couch. Anyway, we are having a blast. My brother-in-law previously had 2 huskies. He said they are very cat like. I think this is a pretty accurate description. 

Welcome . . .
Yes Cat like, independant and aloof at times.
but will also quite happily snuggle up on your lap :)

post-1354-0-70052200-1389473934_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forum and to being a husky owner!  They are quite the handful ;)  Trust me, I know all about them getting into stuff they shouldn't. Ask around about my Thanksgiving turkey incident  :rofl:

Jake is gorgeous!

I am also a new Husky owner. I am an experienced hand with dogs, had various breeds all my life, am a registered breeder of Yorkshire Terriers...My little one is only 11 weeks old and he has already tested my knowledge :rofl: makes the Border Collie we had when I was growing up look like a saint! But I love challenge and love everything he throws at me. Sounds like he is part of the family though!

Good luck! hope to see some pics of Jake soon! :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Jake is gorgeous!

I am also a new Husky owner. I am an experienced hand with dogs, had various breeds all my life, am a registered breeder of Yorkshire Terriers...My little one is only 11 weeks old and he has already tested my knowledge :rofl: makes the Border Collie we had when I was growing up look like a saint! But I love challenge and love everything he throws at me. Sounds like he is part of the family though!

Good luck! hope to see some pics of Jake soon! :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have this question in my head and I just can't make it go away..

So how do you manage having both a Husky and a Yorkie at the same house? The thing is Diamond, my husky, is my first and only dog. I'm looking to adopt a second in a few years and I'm very open to what kind of breed my second dog would be. I'm leaning towards another Husky, of course, but really it can be anything ranging from a Papillon to a German Shepherd. So in case my choice fell on a toy-sized dog, how do you cope with both a Husky and a small dog? 

Welcome! They certainly are naughty, aren't they! But they are hilarious and wonderful too.

Selfishly, I always love to hear experienced dog owners say that their husky is a challenge compared to other dog breeds they have owned. It makes me feel better when my lab owning friends give me "the look" when my dog does something she isn't supposed to!

• 2 weeks later...