A Dog Park Rant. Long...

KCspack

not a huge deal as summer is coming soon...I hope.... theres a smallish dogpark in the area that isnt always busy so KC and I have gone a few times..sometimes theres no dogs but she sure loves to run so its all good...

often theres a retired lady that brings her two big dogs, a lab and a mix and they play great and love kc and are teaching her great dog park manners...KC actually has a great recall when these dogs are around so its a bonus as the other lady loves how kc runs and gets her dogs moving...

the other day a girl brought her two dogs a huge rottie and some other kind of dog...they seem ok but the other dog keeps trying to hump KC and as shes a bit fearful I have to keep pullin him off her. so as they play KCs listening skills need some work lol....

after pullin mr humpy off kc the rottie took me out. down I go tryin to hold onto a thousand dollar camera argg...at the top of the path theres a gate that I can never see if its open or not so at a certain point I call kc back to me and I take her lead..so as im calling her the other owners said ooo leave her shes fine....well doesnt kc scoot out the gate and is now alongside a busy highway...

I call and she goes to come back and the big rottie barked scared her and she went off again...I call her tryin to be happy when the other dog jumps on me and scratches my leg, breaking the skin from thigh to knee. ow..

I coulda kicked that dog but he wouldnt get off me and I still need to get kc so shove dog off me with both hands and finally his owner tells him to get off....kc comes back. I shut gate and walk to the parking lot.....

so thoughts...no more dog park???? kc seemed to have a good time lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

How helpful of owner to call dog off after yours has run! I can understand rottie being protective, Solo becomes protective of charlie if hd thinks another dog is being aggressive but sounds like owner left you to it. We dont have a dog park, not sure id like it.

I'm surprised other dog parks haven't implemented the double gate policy o-o. I just assumed all parks had doubles lol.

50% of the dogs at most of the dog parks I go to crowd into the gate when there are new arrivals (bad manners imo).. If there wasn't a double gate... they'd be long gone.

Owner should have called her rottie off and quit humping your dog in the first place..  I hate when dogs just romp around the park and just continuously hump the same dog over and over...

It's so annoying :\.

Glad you got kc back safely though!

I've read quite a lot of dog park stories within my time here in the forum. Some are positive and some are negative. But unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives and I think I've decided I'm going to stay away from dog parks. Mainly because of stories such as yours; clueless owners and bad-mannered dogs. My own dog has better than average social skills and would die to have a playmate, but I think a visit to another dog owner's house (or the other way round) would have to be enough. 

Dog parks always contain owners who cannot/will not control their dogs... You can always create a meet up and find a secure location and get some husky owners to come and meet you xxx good luck

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Glad you got kc back safely

I've only taken Sasha to two dog parks one had double gates and there were two other huskies there we went in but I didn't take Sasha off the leash she was to scared and overwhelmed by all the dogs. The other one was not secure at all the gate was huge and there was only one of them (we went to a pet show thing) I won't go to a dog park and let Sasha run free maybe if it was completely safe and no one or only a few dogs were there but she has no recall and I can't run fast enough to catch her if something happens :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk