Could You Make A New Start?

Val (Zebedee)

Two friends of ours (Mr & Mrs and 3 kids) are packing everything up & moving to Scotland with their 13 huskies & Collie puppy. They are going with another couple & their 13 huskies & a chihuahua. 

While I could totally move to where they are going - in the middle of nowhere, hardly any neighbours, will get good snowfalls each Winter etc, it is a big step & wonder if I am "brave" enough to do something like that. What about you - could you pack up & ship out to start a new life hundreds / thousands of miles away? Have you done it??

Yep I've done it :)

Moved to France 9 years ago. Was pretty scarey at the time, though now seems like a distant memory. I think I was more worried for the chilldren, you know how they'd cope in a foreign country unable to speak French, my French was pretty rubbish too, still is :)

Dad you ain't leaving me

I'm like a stinky sock hiding in your room... I'm always there mwah ha ha

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

If they don't improve the damn internet speeds around here I'm gone :P

I moved to England from N.Ireland in 2006 for a new job, I booked the boat and just loaded up everything I owned into the van without having anywhere to stay,  My mates thought I was mad, but I do feel I was alot braver back then, it took me a few weeks living out of B&B's before getting a house share which drained my funds quite quickly.

I found that people at least round Bristol kept themselves to theirselves and I struggled to meet new people or even go out with the people from work as they were all fragmented around Bristol. 

Coming from a smallish town(4-5000 people) where everyone nearly knew each other and Ireland where you could always start a conversation with anyone in a bar to hardly being able to drag a conversation out of the bar staff was very hard and had me questioning did I make the right decision.

So I decided I wasn't going give up at the first hurdle and set myself a limit of 1 year to get my life sorted or move home, and within that year I was sent on various working trips to Chester and Spain with groups of 6-50 colleagues and with us all being away from home we all had to rub along together and everyone had a blast.

Nearing the end of my self imposed limit I was sent ot spain on a 3 month working party to which I ended up staying 2 years so my mind was made up, I came back to the UK and bought a house just before the ecomony had just gone tits up, I was in a secure(ish) contract job so my mind was made up I was staying. 

It took me 6 years to get made permanent, and I believe I'm only getting truely settled now even though I'm looking at moving jobs and sites within the same company but it has the possibility of having 30+ years work which would see me into retirement.

The main thing to remember that any move isn't going to be easy and you'll have many obstacles to overcome but if you truely want something you'll do whatever you can to make it work.

Sorry for the long waffle

Dan

I did, i moved to Lanzarote with my then husband (i have a better one now lol) my Labrador and my cat, we moved with £400 and knew no one and had no jobs, i quickly found works as i'm a qualified chef and worked damn hard for 3 years before moving home.

It was a great experience and generally i had a great time, i only moved home because i missed my family so much and i knew my marriage was beginning to end.

Also my niece was due to be born and i didn't want to miss a second with her  :)

I started over about 9 years ago, when I was 27. I left my (not so nice) husband, my job, and my friends and moved about 600 miles away to a place I didn't know a single soul. I just wanted to start fresh. It was hard at first, but eventually I found people to spend time with. I also went away for college 1400 miles away from my childhood home when I was 18 and never went back.

I assume that at some point in my life, I will probably pack up and move again. I'm honestly surprised I've been in one place this long as it is. It seems to me that it would be harder once you have children and grandchildren, or other people who depend on you. When you are single, or just a couple with no real strong family ties to anywhere, it doesn't seem so daunting to start anew. Home is where the heart is, right? 

I've done it before.  When I was 20, I moved from Indiana to Rhode Island (about 1000 miles away).  I moved with a friend that was going to college, and only had a car with 150,000 miles and $500 cash on me.  However I was able to stay at their apartment rent free and found a job pretty quickly so I was lucky.  I moved back here for a better job, but moved about 90 miles from where I grew up.  I don't have any kids and not married so it was pretty easy for me.  

Since I am older, and now bought a home it would be much harder for me to do that.  I have more ties to the area now and I probably will be here for the rest of my life, however I would LOVE to move to a different area!

I'd love nothing more than to live off in some remote area. The stress of handing in papers to deadlines and trying to pass with distinctions aswell as working can really get the better of me.

I sometimes wonder what's the point of putting myself through so much stress? Why can't I just live my life without so much hassle? I would love to like, live off the land and just spend my years stress-free.  

I've done it yup.. Don't plan to now that I have though haha! I'm happy with Liverpool and can see myself getting old and grey here (neither of which I'm close to becoming at the moment).

All I can really say is that you have to be absolutely sure and motivated to do it, otherwise don't do it.. I can see why you'd want to move into the middle of nowhere though. It'd be such a nice change from the noisy 'hustle- bustle' of the city.